* Re: my .newsrc.eld is 100 times bigger than my .newsrc
       [not found] ` <uiifm6ia39852d@news.supernews.com>
@ 2002-07-18  5:58   ` Dan Jacobson
       [not found]     ` <vxkn0so68uc.fsf@cinnamon.vanillaknot.com>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-07-18  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well gosh, being that Outlook has a "compress news folders" or
whatever function, how about one for gnus?  And I don't mean just to
go and bzip2 myself, I know how to do that.  I mean something that
will really clean the junk out.

t> in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:
>> How big's your .newsrc.eld?
>> $ wc -lc .newsrc .newsrc.eld
>> 48    6642 .newsrc
>> 13  796852 .newsrc.eld
>> mine's 100 times bigger than my .newsrc.  Is there any diet program
>> available to reduce its size?

t> gnus remembers the article number of every article you've ever read and if
t> you don't read all articles that can generate quite a long list (because of
t> the gaps).  it does this even if there is no chance of the article re-
t> appearing (those below the low water mark).  what is needed is a function
t> to eliminate the read marks for article numbers below the low water mark.
t> in fact the low water mark of each group should be tracked, because if the
t> server ever returns a lower value than what was last recorded the group has
t> been renumbered and something needs to be done about it (typically clearing
t> all marks, because they've all become invalid).
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: my .newsrc.eld is 100 times bigger than my .newsrc
       [not found]         ` <874req9hh5.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2002-07-24 11:28           ` those who know me have no need of my name
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-07-24 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:

>761167 (setq gnus-zombie-list

this is easy to comprehend, and is what karl described -- if you don't save
unsubscribed groups all that goes away, but at the expense of queries about
posting to potentially non-existing groups.

>Anyways, Hi.  My name is Dan.  I'm taking my .newsrc.eld out dancing
>this weekend.  Is there any magic diet pill I can feed her first?

while gnus is stopped just delete the zombie-list line from your .eld file,
if you can live with the caveat, it won't have any adverse effect.

* Re: my .newsrc.eld is 100 times bigger than my .newsrc
       [not found] <87wusbbutp.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2002-07-04 20:26 ` Adrian Aichner
       [not found] ` <uiifm6ia39852d@news.supernews.com>
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2002-07-04 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Dan> How big's your .newsrc.eld?
    Dan> $ wc -lc .newsrc .newsrc.eld
    Dan>      48    6642 .newsrc
    Dan>      13  796852 .newsrc.eld
    Dan> mine's 100 times bigger than my .newsrc.  Is there any diet program

Same here:

     17     583 .newsrc
     13   52594 .newsrc.eld
     30   53177 total

If you take a quick look at .newsrc.eld, you'll notice that it keeps
track of a lot of things:

killed newsgroups
various marks for mail groups
server lists
topic lists
gnus formats

Diets don't work, just feed your .newsrc.eld responsibly :-)

 mailto:adrian@xemacs.org
 http://www.xemacs.org/