* Re: User-Agent header for 'Article Supercede'
       [not found] ` <v9llxig0su.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2003-05-07 17:23   ` Michael R. Wolf
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-05-07 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Wed, May 07 2003, Michael R. Wolf wrote:
>
>> Is it correct behavior to populate the "User-Agent" header based on
>> the original article instead of my current user agent?
>
> I don't think so.  But you can delete the User-Agent header (as any
> other header) and Gnus should generate a new one.
>
> You may also use a completely different UA to supercede an article.

And that's what I did.  I used "Gnus/5.10.1" to supercede
"Gnus/5.9.0".

Does this warrent a bug report?

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!

* Re: User-Agent header for 'Article Supercede'
@ 2003-05-07 20:37     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-05-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 07 2003, Michael R. Wolf wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>
>> On Wed, May 07 2003, Michael R. Wolf wrote:
>>
>>> Is it correct behavior to populate the "User-Agent" header based on
>>> the original article instead of my current user agent?
>>
>> I don't think so.

To clarify: I don't think that the NUA *must* preserve the UA header.
The UA header is totally irrelevant WRT supercedes, so it's probably
not specified.

>> You may also use a completely different UA to supercede an article.
> And that's what I did.  I used "Gnus/5.10.1" to supercede
> "Gnus/5.9.0".

Gnus' default behavior is described in the manual:

,----[ (info "(message)Superseding") ]
|    Headers matching the `message-ignored-supersedes-headers' are
| removed before popping up the new message buffer.  The default is
| `^Path:\\|^Date\\|^NNTP-Posting-Host:\\|^Xref:\\|^Lines:\\|
| ^Received:\\|^X-From-Line:\\|Return-Path:\\|^Supersedes:'.
`----

You may add "\\|^User-Agent:" to `message-ignored-supersedes-headers'.

> Does this warrent a bug report?

If you think, that the default value of `m-i-s-h' should be changed,
file a bug report.  I tend to agree with you, the more I think about
it. :-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,