From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com>
Subject: Re: Killed my mail group and am not sure how to get it back.
Date: 8 Oct 2005 08:49:02 -0500	[thread overview]

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005, dmaze@mit.edu wrote:
> Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:
>
>> Inadvertently C-k'd my main mail group, nnml:mail.misc.
>
> From the group buffer, I'd try 'j nnml:mail.misc u' (jump to
> nnml:mail.misc in the group buffer, then (un)subscribe to it).

Yep, that worked.  All the marks are gone, but I got it back.

Thanks.

> Alternately, you could use ^ to go to the server buffer, press RET on
> your nnml: server, and subscribe to mail.misc from there.

>> I didn't know where it went, so I kill emacs with Ctrl-Alt-Del to try
>> and see if the previous version of groups would show up on next call
>> to GNUS.  Its not there.
>
> !!!  'Q' will generally exit the current context without saving
> changes without doing anything so drastic as rebooting your machine.

I didn't reboot the machine, unless you are saying Emacs is the
machine.  ;-)

> Many things you can also undo with normal Emacs C-_; I think changing
> group state (subscribe/unsubscribe/kill) should be quite undoable.  (A
> couple of things, notably C-u G DEL to destroy an nnml group and all
> of its contents, are pretty permanent and immediate.)

I wish Gnus didn't allow simple things like C-k to happen on mail
groups.  Thats the window to files sitting local.  Be nice if it
prompted you before you did such action against mail groups.
--
Galen deForest Boyer