* Killed my mail group and am not sure how to get it back.
@ 2005-10-06 23:59 Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2005-10-06 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Inadvertently C-k'd my main mail group, nnml:mail.misc.

I didn't know where it went, so I kill emacs with Ctrl-Alt-Del to try
and see if the previous version of groups would show up on next call to
GNUS.  Its not there.

Does anybody know how to get it back?

Thanks.
--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: Killed my mail group and am not sure how to get it back.
@ 2005-10-07 15:28 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-10-07 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

> Inadvertently C-k'd my main mail group, nnml:mail.misc.

> From the group buffer, I'd try 'j nnml:mail.misc u' (jump to
nnml:mail.misc in the group buffer, then (un)subscribe to it).
Alternately, you could use ^ to go to the server buffer, press RET on
your nnml: server, and subscribe to mail.misc from there.

> I didn't know where it went, so I kill emacs with Ctrl-Alt-Del to try
> and see if the previous version of groups would show up on next call to
> GNUS.  Its not there.

!!!  'Q' will generally exit the current context without saving
changes without doing anything so drastic as rebooting your machine.
Many things you can also undo with normal Emacs C-_; I think changing
group state (subscribe/unsubscribe/kill) should be quite undoable.  (A
couple of things, notably C-u G DEL to destroy an nnml group and all
of its contents, are pretty permanent and immediate.)

  --dzm

* Re: Killed my mail group and am not sure how to get it back.
@ 2005-10-08 13:49   ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2005-10-08 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005, dmaze@mit.edu wrote:
> Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:
>
>> Inadvertently C-k'd my main mail group, nnml:mail.misc.
>
> From the group buffer, I'd try 'j nnml:mail.misc u' (jump to
> nnml:mail.misc in the group buffer, then (un)subscribe to it).

Yep, that worked.  All the marks are gone, but I got it back.

Thanks.

> Alternately, you could use ^ to go to the server buffer, press RET on
> your nnml: server, and subscribe to mail.misc from there.

>> I didn't know where it went, so I kill emacs with Ctrl-Alt-Del to try
>> and see if the previous version of groups would show up on next call
>> to GNUS.  Its not there.
>
> !!!  'Q' will generally exit the current context without saving
> changes without doing anything so drastic as rebooting your machine.

I didn't reboot the machine, unless you are saying Emacs is the
machine.  ;-)

> Many things you can also undo with normal Emacs C-_; I think changing
> group state (subscribe/unsubscribe/kill) should be quite undoable.  (A
> couple of things, notably C-u G DEL to destroy an nnml group and all
> of its contents, are pretty permanent and immediate.)

I wish Gnus didn't allow simple things like C-k to happen on mail
groups.  Thats the window to files sitting local.  Be nice if it
prompted you before you did such action against mail groups.
--
Galen deForest Boyer