* Keeping Gnus in sync across two machines
@ 2009-03-26  8:59 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-03-26  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, hope someone can help.

I've been getting into using gnus and have it all set up for Gmail using
IMAP, NNTP for usenet and nnrss for my daily diet of feeds. The problem
is that I have to run it on two machines - my work laptop when at work,
and my personal one for at home. I obviously don't have the personal one
with me when I'm at the office, and the work one has a firewall which
locks down application internet access when outside the office network.

As a result, I keep having to manually catch up all the articles that
I've already read on each machine.

So, I was looking at using Unison and my usb stick to sync changes
between them, but need to know which files to copy. I was going to start
with all the .newsrc* and Mail/ and News/ but came across some
permission problems.

Can anyone confirm which files I need to copy to just do the above?

Thanks, Paul

* Re: Keeping Gnus in sync across two machines
@ 2009-03-26 10:07 ` David
From: David @ 2009-03-26 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:
> I was going to start with all the .newsrc* and Mail/ and News/ but
> came across some permission problems.
>
> Can anyone confirm which files I need to copy to just do the above?

The files and directories you mentioned should work. See also

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSync

-David

* Re: Keeping Gnus in sync across two machines
@ 2009-03-26 12:24   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-03-26 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

OK, thanks - that seems to work as long as I don't synchronise permissions
(work PC has different user name to the home one...)

The GnusSync stuff was interesting too, but probably more useful if I
had a connection between the two machines that I could sync with. Sadly
not!

Cheers

       [not found] <mailman.3995.1238057994.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-26 15:07 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-26 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, hope someone can help.
>
> I've been getting into using gnus and have it all set up for Gmail using
> IMAP, NNTP for usenet and nnrss for my daily diet of feeds. The problem
> is that I have to run it on two machines - my work laptop when at work,
> and my personal one for at home. I obviously don't have the personal one
> with me when I'm at the office, and the work one has a firewall which
> locks down application internet access when outside the office network.
>
> As a result, I keep having to manually catch up all the articles that
> I've already read on each machine.
>
> So, I was looking at using Unison and my usb stick to sync changes
> between them, but need to know which files to copy. I was going to start
> with all the .newsrc* and Mail/ and News/ but came across some
> permission problems.
>
> Can anyone confirm which files I need to copy to just do the above?

I set all my gnus files to be in my .emacs.d and simply unison that
Works fine. Unison is pretty nice.

The folowing settings. Maybe overkill, I'm not sure.

gnus-kill-files-directory
bbdb-file
message-directory
nnfolder-directory
message-directory
nnfolder-directory

w3m-default-save-directory
w3m-init-file
w3m-profile-directory

I know it wasn't (or didnt seem to be) as clean as changing one or two top
level directories.