* Mail continually marked as unread
@ 2006-07-11  8:41 Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2006-07-11  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having strange problems with my email. For some reason,
occasionally some of my mail always appears to be unread when I start
gnus, even though I have read it a number of times, or done catch up
on the group.

I can't see anything odd about the messages, nor about their file on
disk.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Phil

* Re: Mail continually marked as unread
@ 2006-07-11 14:36 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-07-11 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Jul 2006, phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk wrote:

> I'm having strange problems with my email. For some reason,
> occasionally some of my mail always appears to be unread when I start
> gnus, even though I have read it a number of times, or done catch up
> on the group.
>
> I can't see anything odd about the messages, nor about their file on
> disk.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions?

Look in your newsrc for that group before starting Gnus, and after
catching up and hitting 's' to save the newsrc.  You may have an
invalid range for some reason.

Ted

* Re: Mail continually marked as unread
@ 2006-07-13 11:11   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2006-07-13 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

  TZ> On 11 Jul 2006, phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk wrote:

  >> I'm having strange problems with my email. For some reason,
  >> occasionally some of my mail always appears to be unread when I
  >> start gnus, even though I have read it a number of times, or done
  >> catch up on the group.
  >>
  >> I can't see anything odd about the messages, nor about their file
  >> on disk.
  >>
  >> Has anyone got any suggestions?

  TZ> Look in your newsrc for that group before starting Gnus, and
  TZ> after catching up and hitting 's' to save the newsrc.  You may
  TZ> have an invalid range for some reason.

Okay, but what am I looking for?

@ 2006-07-13 14:37     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-07-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Jul 2006, phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk wrote:

> TZ> On 11 Jul 2006, phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk wrote:
>
>>> I'm having strange problems with my email. For some reason,
>>> occasionally some of my mail always appears to be unread when I
>>> start gnus, even though I have read it a number of times, or done
>>> catch up on the group.
>>>
>>> I can't see anything odd about the messages, nor about their file
>>> on disk.
>>>
>>> Has anyone got any suggestions?
>
> TZ> Look in your newsrc for that group before starting Gnus, and
> TZ> after catching up and hitting 's' to save the newsrc.  You may
> TZ> have an invalid range for some reason.
>

> Okay, but what am I looking for?

Pick a group that's problematic.  Grep your newsrc.eld for the group
name before and after you enter it.  You're looking for discrepancy
between the data in the newsrc and what's on the server.  In the worst
case, you can just delete the group from the newsrc (or just C-k in
Gnus) and then re-add it, but you'll lose state data (how much depends
on the group, e.g. nnimap backends are not too affected while nntp
backends are).  Also the problem may be elsewhere.

I'm not an expert in article ranges, but will at least try to help you
get enough information so this bug can be found and fixed, if
possible.  You can follow up directly to the ding mailing list if you
want knowledgeable people to look at your report directly.  I think
fewer follow the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup.

Ted

* Re: Mail continually marked as unread
@ 2006-07-14 10:57       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2006-07-14 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

  TZ> Look in your newsrc for that group before starting Gnus, and
  TZ> after catching up and hitting 's' to save the newsrc.  You may
  TZ> have an invalid range for some reason.
  >>

  >> Okay, but what am I looking for?

  TZ> Pick a group that's problematic.  Grep your newsrc.eld for the
  TZ> group name before and after you enter it.  You're looking for
  TZ> discrepancy between the data in the newsrc and what's on the
  TZ> server.  In the worst case, you can just delete the group from
  TZ> the newsrc (or just C-k in Gnus) and then re-add it, but you'll
  TZ> lose state data (how much depends on the group, e.g. nnimap
  TZ> backends are not too affected while nntp backends are).  Also
  TZ> the problem may be elsewhere.

  TZ> I'm not an expert in article ranges, but will at least try to
  TZ> help you get enough information so this bug can be found and
  TZ> fixed, if possible.  You can follow up directly to the ding
  TZ> mailing list if you want knowledgeable people to look at your
  TZ> report directly.  I think fewer follow the gnu.emacs.gnus
  TZ> newsgroup.

Okay, thanks. Will try this.

Phil

* Mail continually marked as unread