* IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-28  5:37 Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2007-11-28  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm trying to set up IMAP for the first time on 5.10.6.

Here's a snippet from my .gnus:

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
|         '(nnimap "name.of.server"
|                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
|                 (nnimap-address "name.of.server")
|                 (nnimap-list-pattern '("mbox" "INBOX" "mail/*"))
|                 (nnimap-stream ssl)))
`----

I'm pretty sure I have the correct values for server port, address, and
stream; I'm guessing on list-pattern.

Here's part of the log from my *Messages* buffer upon a fresh start of
Emacs NT 21.3.1:

,----
| Reading c:/.newsrc.eld...
| {stuff deleted about logging into a news spool}
| Reading active file from name.of.server via nnimap...
| Opening nnimap server on name.of.server...
| imap: Connecting to name.of.server...
| imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p'...done
| Waiting for response from name.of.server...done
| imap: Authenticating to `name.of.server' using `login'...
| imap: Plaintext authentication...
| IMAP password for loginname@name.of.server (using authenticator `login'):
| IMAP password for loginname@name.of.server (using authenticator `login'): .
| IMAP password for loginname@name.of.server (using authenticator `login'): ..
| IMAP password for loginname@name.of.server (using authenticator `login'): ........
| imap: Authenticating to `name.of.server' using `login'...done
| Opening nnimap server on name.of.server...done
| Reading active file via nnml...
| Opening nnml server...done
| nnml: Reading incoming mail from pop...
| Password for loginname2 at localhost:
| Password for loginname2 at localhost: .
| Password for loginname2 at localhost: ..
| Password for loginname2 at localhost: ........
| Retrieving message 1 of 1 from localhost...
| Wrote c:/Mail/ {name of directory deleted}
| nnml: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
| Reading active file via nnml...done
| Reading active file from news.oneserver.com via nntp...
| Opening nntp server on news.oneserver.com...
|
| Opening nntp server on news.oneserver.com...done
| Opening nntp server on news.anotherserver.com...done
| nnimap: Listing subscribed mailboxes on name.of.server...
| imap: Could not UTF7 encode `quote', using it unencoded...
| nnimap-request-newgroups: Wrong type argument: sequencep, quote
`----

At that point, I have a blank Emacs window with a header that indicates
it is running Gnus but no appropriate menu items.

If I comment out the .gnus snippet shown at the start, I can read my
normal mail spool (POP3 on localhost, and all the newsgroups work.

Any tips on what I might need to adjust to get IMAP to work, too?

Oh, I do have a .authinfo file set up that works for the newsgroups but
apparently not for this IMAP configuration, as Gnus did ask me to enter
my name.of.server login name and password before it failed.

Thanks,

Bill

PS: This is not for a gmail IMAP account.
- --
Bill Harris
Facilitated Systems
http://facilitatedsystems.com/

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-28  6:43 ` Torsten Mueller
From: Torsten Mueller @ 2007-11-28  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bill Harris <bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com> schrieb:

> I'm trying to set up IMAP for the first time on 5.10.6.
>
> Here's a snippet from my .gnus:
>
> ,----
> | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> |         '(nnimap "name.of.server"
> |                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
> |                 (nnimap-address "name.of.server")
> |                 (nnimap-list-pattern '("mbox" "INBOX" "mail/*"))
> |                 (nnimap-stream ssl)))
> `----
>
> I'm pretty sure I have the correct values for server port, address,
> and stream; I'm guessing on list-pattern.

Getting IMAP to work should be very easy - perhaps easier than you
think. I do not have any list patterns at all. My secondary select
methods look exactly like this:

        (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote (
                (nnml "")
        	(nnimap "server_name" (nnimap-stream ssl))
        )))

Nothing else. The IMAP folders I want to see in Gnus are subscribed
later in the server buffer.

T.M.

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-28 18:54   ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2007-11-28 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-28 21:08     ` Hasse Hagen Johansen
From: Hasse Hagen Johansen @ 2007-11-28 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    > Torsten Mueller <dev-null@shared-files.de> writes:
    >> Getting IMAP to work should be very easy - perhaps easier than
    >> you think. I do not have any list patterns at all. My secondary
    >> select methods look exactly like this:
    >>
    >> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ( (nnml "") (nnimap
    >> "server_name" (nnimap-stream ssl)) )))

    > Unfortunately, that didn't help.

    > I do have OpenSSL.  Is it possible that my Gnus 5.10.6 is too
    > old?
Hi Bill

I am using this in my .gnus:
;; For fetching remote mail from imap
(setq imap-ssl-program "/usr/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect %s:%p")
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '((nnimap "servername"
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
)))

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-28 22:31     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-28 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Nov 28 2007, Bill Harris wrote:

> On Windows, is upgrading (I have gnus-5.10.8.tar sitting around) really
> as easy as untarring that into site-lisp, cd'ing to that directory, and
> running "./configure && make" from bash?

On Windows, you should probably use "make.bat".

Unrelated to the problem at hand: As you still use Emacs 21, I'd
recommend to update to Emacs 22.1, which comes with a more recent Gnus
version (5.10.8 + more bug fixes).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-29  0:32       ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2007-11-29  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-29 16:39         ` Bill
From: Bill @ 2007-11-29 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Nov 28, 4:32 pm, Bill Harris <bill_har...@facilitatedsystems.com>
wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gm...@imap.cc> writes:
> > Unrelated to the problem at hand: As you still use Emacs 21, I'd
> > recommend to update to Emacs 22.1, which comes with a more recent Gnus
> > version (5.10.8 + more bug fixes).

Okay, now I'm stuck.  I installed 22.1.1, and it came with Gnus
v5.11.  I copied over my .emacs and .gnus, but it stumbles on the
(require 'gnus-load) in my .emacs.  I can't tell if that's required or
not, but it's certainly not there (at least a search doesn't reveal
it).

As best I can tell, gnus-load is created by make.bat, but the only
make.bat I can find in my emacs 22 tree is for bbdb-2.34 (and I know I
have to upgrade that -- one thing at a time).  The fact I see lots
of .elc files in the gnus directory indicates that gnus came pre-
built, so I shouldn't have to do anything, right?

I can start gnus by stepping through my .emacs, one command at a time
and skipping the commands that don't work (e.g., (require 'gnus-
load)),  That gives me my nnmail-split customizations, for example.

When I then start gnus,I get only a handful of my folders, populated
with email I've received today.  When I enter /o in my misc folder, it
says there is no older email, yet I seem to see lots more files in the
folder.

That's okay (I hope); I figure gnus will reveal old emails when I
resolve the gnus-load problem or whatever it is.  It's a bit
surprising that my drafts folder appears empty when looked at outside
of Emacs, though; I don't know where my draft emails may have gone.

Any tips for getting going?  Is gnus-load obsolete in 5.11, or do I
need to recreate it somehow?

Thanks,

Bill

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-29 17:08           ` Bill
From: Bill @ 2007-11-29 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Nov 29, 8:39 am, Bill <wsharri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I then start gnus,I get only a handful of my folders, populated
> with email I've received today.  When I enter /o in my misc folder, it
> says there is no older email, yet I seem to see lots more files in the
> folder.
>
> That's okay (I hope); I figure gnus will reveal old emails when I
> resolve the gnus-load problem or whatever it is.  It's a bit
> surprising that my drafts folder appears empty when looked at outside
> of Emacs, though; I don't know where my draft emails may have gone.

Well, I discovered one of the reasons my old files are still there;
5.11 is putting new email somewhere else other than c:/Mail/mail/
misc/, where my old mail is.  That doesn't explain why c:/Mail/drafts
is now empty (I think it used to have quite a few draft emails, but I
can probably stand to lose most of them, anyway, and I do have a
backup that's only a day or perhaps 2 old).

What seems strange to me is that I can't find any files modified today
in c:/Mail.  Doing a bit of searching turned up #.newsrc-
dribble#, .nnmail-cache, .newsrc.eld, .bbdb, and Mail/ in my Cygwin
home directory.

So my questions:

  Where is the top-level directory for mail things set in Gnus?  I
haven't found that yet (I've probably been looking at it and not
seeing it).

  Is that involved with the gnus-load issue I mentioned earlier, or is
that a red herring (i.e., do I even need gnus-load?)?

  If I can figure out how to point Gnus to my old mail structure, is
it safe to subscribe to these cygwin structures (G d?) and then move
or respool the files into my traditional structure?

Thanks,

Bill

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-29 17:35             ` Bill
From: Bill @ 2007-11-29 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Nov 29, 9:08 am, Bill <wsharri...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   If I can figure out how to point Gnus to my old mail structure, is
> it safe to subscribe to these cygwin structures (G d?) and then move
> or respool the files into my traditional structure?

A bit more reading (the *info* page called General Variables in 22.1
and 21.3.1) showed that Emacs changed the meaning of HOME between the
two versions.  In the older one, it seems to default to C:/; in 22.1,
it has a different default.  In the *info* page "G.4 HOME Directory on
MS-Windows," it seems to look for a HOME variable first, and that is
already set by cygwin. Since there's no .emacs there, it fails and
moves on without loading a .emacs, I presume (if it hadn't found HOME,
it would have done what I wanted and checked for .emacs in C:/).

Should I give up and move everything into HOME (aka c:/cygwin/home/my
name/ -- yes, it has a space :-(  ), or is there a way to tell Emacs
22.1 that it should look in C:/ even though HOME is defined by cygwin
as a different location?

Thanks,

Bill

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-29 22:45               ` Bill
From: Bill @ 2007-11-29 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Nov 29, 9:35 am, Bill <wsharri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Should I give up and move everything into HOME (aka c:/cygwin/home/my
> name/ -- yes, it has a space :-(  ), or is there a way to tell Emacs
> 22.1 that it should look in C:/ even though HOME is defined by cygwin
> as a different location?

Answer: apparently yes.  I renamed the Gnus files v.5.11 had already
put there, copied over the .bbdb, .newsrc.eld, and .nnmail-cache from
C:/ into ~/, and then copied C:/Mail and C:/News into HOME.  When I
fired up Gnus, everything (almost) was there.

Moral of the story (for me, at least):

  1. On Windows, HOME is moved.  Get over it; it's a good idea (or so
it seems).

  2. Read the Emacs NEWS after upgrading; it told me all that.  (It
might have put it in 48 pt. type, though; there were a lot of
changes. :-)

That left one unanswered question: recovering the new email I've
gotten in the last few days. I followed the directions in 6.3.8
Incorporating Old Mail, but it failed.  Perhaps it works only for mbox
files, and my "old" mail is in nnml format.

At any rate, on step 3, Gnus won't let me enter the group, complaining
"No such file or buffer".

After some experimentation, I found that making a directory group (G
d) would let me enter one of the groups I needed to move.

That led to respooling the articles.  I answered nnml as indicated,
but then it wanted a server name.  After a bit of reading, I decided
"What can it hurt if I just press 'Enter'?" It seemed to work; I had
58 messages in the new mail.misc, and 22 of them made it back to the
old mail.misc (presumably the others went to other folders).
Surprisingly, the new mail.misc (the one I was trying to empty) still
had the original 58 articles.  I finally decided to mark each with an
E, to exit the new group, and then to unsubscribe from the new group.
Once I had all the groups respooled, I went back and killed them.

That seemed to work, although there may be an easier way. Sorry for
the long posting, but maybe it will help someone else.  Now that most
of the work is over (except for finding various new elisp packages, I
like what I see in the new version.

Bill

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-30 15:44                 ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2007-11-30 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-30 16:02                 ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2007-11-30 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

{accidentally sent to hhj in email instead of by news:}

Hasse Hagen Johansen <hhj@musikcheck.dk> writes:

> I am using this in my .gnus:
> ;; For fetching remote mail from imap
> (setq imap-ssl-program "/usr/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect %s:%p")
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>         '((nnimap "servername"
>                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
> )))

Thanks.  I checked, now that I've got Gnus v5.11.  C-h v shows

,----
| imap-ssl-program is a variable defined in `imap.el'.
| Its value is
| ("openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p" "openssl s_client -quiet -ssl2 -connect %s:%p" "s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p" "s_client -quiet -ssl2 -connect %s:%p")
`----

I just tried

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
|              '(nnimap "my.server.address"
|              (nnimap-server-port 993)
|              (nnimap-address "my.server.address")
|              (nnimap-stream ssl)))
`----

in my .gnus, and it didn't work.  I get a *: at the start of the group
line in the Group buffer (at least it's there now), and, when I try to
enter it, it says, "Couldn't activate group groupname: 411 no such news
group".

I figure I have to give nnimap-address; how does your Gnus find the
server?

Any other thoughts?  Any way to test to see if Gnus is succeding with
the SSL connection or to debug other parts of the connection?

Bill

{His reply, reposted with his permission}

    Bill> Hasse Hagen Johansen <hhj@musikcheck.dk> writes:
    >> I am using this in my .gnus: ;; For fetching remote mail from
    >> imap (setq imap-ssl-program "/usr/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3
    >> -connect %s:%p") (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap
    >> "servername" (nnimap-server-port 993) (nnimap-stream ssl) )))

    Bill> Thanks.  I checked, now that I've got Gnus v5.11.  C-h v
    Bill> shows

    Bill> ,---- | imap-ssl-program is a variable defined in `imap.el'.
    Bill> | Its value is | ("openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect
    Bill> %s:%p" "openssl s_client -quiet -ssl2 -connect %s:%p"
    Bill> "s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p" "s_client -quiet
    Bill> -ssl2 -connect %s:%p") `----

    Bill> I just tried

    Bill> ,---- | (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods |
    Bill> '(nnimap "my.server.address" | (nnimap-server-port 993) |
    Bill> (nnimap-address "my.server.address") | (nnimap-stream ssl)))
    Bill> `----

    Bill> in my .gnus, and it didn't work.  I get a *: at the start of
    Bill> the group line in the Group buffer (at least it's there
    Bill> now), and, when I try to enter it, it says, "Couldn't
    Bill> activate group groupname: 411 no such news group".

    Bill> I figure I have to give nnimap-address; how does your Gnus
    Bill> find the server?

Hmm...maybe you are trying to access a non existing folder?
nnimap-address..you should replace my.server.address with your imap
servers address.

What I have done is. Added the above to my .gnus file and then started
and got to Group mode. Then I hit ^ to get to "server browsing mode",
and hit enter on the imap server...and then subscribed to the folders
with the u key.

    Bill> Any other thoughts?  Any way to test to see if Gnus is
    Bill> succeding with the SSL connection or to debug other parts of
    Bill> the connection?

I don't quite remember the "debug variable" to set, but you should get
some information in the Messages buffer

Bill you answered me directly on mail. Could you please copy it in the
newsgroup thread if you still got it?(so the discussion can help others)

Regards
Hasse H. Johansen

{My reply to him}

Hasse Hagen Johansen <hhj@musikcheck.dk> writes:

> Hmm...maybe you are trying to access a non existing folder?
> nnimap-address..you should replace my.server.address with your imap
> servers address.

Of course.  I just changed it for the purposes of this posting; my file
really has the server address.

> What I have done is. Added the above to my .gnus file and then started
> and got to Group mode. Then I hit ^ to get to "server browsing mode",
> and hit enter on the imap server...and then subscribed to the folders
> with the u key.

I _knew_ there was a reason for server browsing mode, and that was it.
It works.

> Bill you answered me directly on mail. Could you please copy it in the
> newsgroup thread if you still got it?(so the discussion can help others)

That's my mistake; sorry.  I'll be glad to, especially now that it
works.

Bill
- --
Bill Harris                      http://facilitatedsystems.com/weblog/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA
http://facilitatedsystems.com/                  phone: +1 425 337-5541

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-11-30 21:22           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-30 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, Nov 29 2007, Bill wrote:

> I installed 22.1.1, and it came with Gnus v5.11.  I copied over my
> .emacs and .gnus, but it stumbles on the (require 'gnus-load) in my
> .emacs.  I can't tell if that's required or not, but it's certainly
> not there (at least a search doesn't reveal it).
[...]
> Any tips for getting going?  Is gnus-load obsolete in 5.11, or do I
> need to recreate it somehow?

Moral of the story (continued):

Read GNUS-NEWS file as well.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus") ]
|         * `(require 'gnus-load)'
|
|           If you use a stand-alone Gnus distribution, you'd better add
|           `(require 'gnus-load)' into your `~/.emacs' after adding the
|           Gnus lisp directory into load-path.
|
|           File `gnus-load.el' contains autoload commands, functions and
|           variables, some of which may not be included in distributions
|           of Emacsen.
`----

As you *don't* use a stand-alone Gnus distribution, you don't need
`gnus-load'.  HTH.

I didn't read all your other posting completely, but my impression was
that you solved all the mentioned problems now.  If not, please ask
again, maybe better in separate threads.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: IMAP problems
@ 2007-12-02  3:26             ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2007-12-02  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Re: imap problems
@ 2002-11-22 15:03 ` Dan Smith
From: Dan Smith @ 2002-11-22 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can anyone tell why on trying to open my imap server gnus just hangs?
> nnimap: Generating active list for minster.cs.york.ac.uk...

My gnus would hang when listing the IMAP server unless I added a
pattern to the list.  I found that without it, the imapd on the server
was trying to find every file in my home dir and look at it like a
mail file.

Add this to your imap server definition:

        (nnimap-list-pattern "INBOX")

--Dan

* imap problems
@ 2002-11-22 12:09 Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-11-22 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone tell why on trying to open my imap server gnus just hangs?

it just claims

nnimap: Generating active list for minster.cs.york.ac.uk...

but nothing happens after that.  What's causing this?  I'm tearing my
hair out trying to just check one pop3 server and an imap server to get
my mail - why isn't this a simple thing to do?  :-(

Kester Clegg                Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Associate (UTC)    University of York, UK

Tel (01904) 43 33 75        email: kester@cs.york.ac.uk