* Re: Why so much memory?
       [not found]       ` <Xns928E63E676751pdavispageflexinccom@199.103.147.5>
       [not found]         ` <vxkhegkh9v1.fsf@cinnamon.vanillaknot.com>
@ 2002-09-21  1:54         ` Linh Dang
From: Linh Dang @ 2002-09-21  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pdavis@pageflexinc.com> writes:
> 1) "Aging" messages - this is different from expiry.  I'd like messages
> from last year to be moved to an archive group.  I could set up
> auto-expire to do this, but then I'd lose the feature of using 'expire'
> to delete unwanted messages after a week.

This would be really nice!

> 2) Searching - Gnus doesn't provide any good way to search through old
> messages.  I know about nnir, but so far, I have not succeeded in
> getting a search engine running on Windows to make this work.  Without a
> good way to search, having more groups makes it more difficult to find
> messages.

add a grep backend to nnir. I've hack nrgrep (the fastest grep I've
found) to do record reporting and add a nrgrep backend to search my
nnfolders. If you use mail-directory backends it would be trivial to
add grep to nnir.

> Thanks,

* Re: Why so much memory?
       [not found]         ` <vxkhegkh9v1.fsf@cinnamon.vanillaknot.com>
@ 2002-09-20 20:47           ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2002-09-20 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> wrote in

> Peter Davis <pdavis@pageflexinc.com> writes:
>> 1) "Aging" messages - this is different from expiry.  I'd like
>> messages from last year to be moved to an archive group.  I could set
>> up auto-expire to do this, but then I'd lose the feature of using
>> 'expire' to delete unwanted messages after a week.
>
> When I want to delete unwanted messages, I use `B DEL' directly.  I
> use expiry group parameters on a per-group basis, thus:

    	[...]

Thanks.  I had thought of doing something like this.  I actually like
the feature that messages I delete won't disappear immediately, though
in fact, I *very* rarely need it.  Perhaps your approach is the best.

>> 2) Searching - Gnus doesn't provide any good way to search through
>> old messages.  I know about nnir, but so far, I have not succeeded in
>> getting a search engine running on Windows to make this work.
>
> If you haven't tried it yet, give swish++ a shot.
> http://homepage.mac.com/pauljlucas/software/swish/
> I use it under Linux, but it purports to build under Windows as well,
> as long as you have Cygwin installed, which can be obtained easily
> enough.

I do have Cygwin installed.  I tried swish++ once, but never managed to
produce an index.  If I remember correctly, I wound up with a 0-sized
index.  Perhaps it's time to try again.

Thanks,

-pd

--
--------
    Peter Davis                               Pageflex Inc