* Why are incoming mails saved twice?
@ 2009-06-08 14:23 Hermann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hermann @ 2009-06-08 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,
I use nnml as mail backend, and I figured out that arriving mails are
stored twice:
In ~/Mail/mail/misc with numbers and in
~/Mail as Incoming*.
When I clean up my inbox, those Incoming* mails still exist.
Is there a way to get rid of them without destroying the structure of
mail handling? Simply deleting all this mails is perhaps no good idea?
Hermann

* Re: Why are incoming mails saved twice?
@ 2009-06-08 15:04 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-06-08 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, try

(setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: Why are incoming mails saved twice?
@ 2009-06-08 15:17 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-06-08 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hermann <meinelisten@onlinehome.de> writes:

Hi Hermann!

> I use nnml as mail backend, and I figured out that arriving mails are
> stored twice:
> In ~/Mail/mail/misc with numbers and in
> ~/Mail as Incoming*.

The bleeding edge versions of gnus keep backup files of all mails.
Those are the Incoming* files.

> When I clean up my inbox, those Incoming* mails still exist.  Is there
> a way to get rid of them without destroying the structure of mail
> handling?

See

,----[ (info "(gnus)Mail Source Customization") ]
| `mail-source-delete-incoming'
|      If non-`nil', delete incoming files after handling them.  If `t',
|      delete the files immediately, if `nil', never delete any files.
|      If a positive number, delete files older than number of days (the
|      deletion will only happen when receiving new mail).  You may also
|      set `mail-source-delete-incoming' to `nil' and call
|      `mail-source-delete-old-incoming' from a hook or interactively.
|      `mail-source-delete-incoming' defaults to `10' in alpha Gnusae and
|      `2' in released Gnusae.  *Note Gnus Development::.
`----

and

,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Development") ]
`----

> Simply deleting all this mails is perhaps no good idea?

No problem, you can delete them without worrying.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Why are incoming mails saved twice?
@ 2009-06-08 15:21 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2009-06-08 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hermann <meinelisten@onlinehome.de> writes:

> Hi,
> I use nnml as mail backend, and I figured out that arriving mails are
> stored twice:
> In ~/Mail/mail/misc with numbers and in
> ~/Mail as Incoming*.
> When I clean up my inbox, those Incoming* mails still exist.
> Is there a way to get rid of them without destroying the structure of
> mail handling? Simply deleting all this mails is perhaps no good idea?
> Hermann

I think you're referring to the incoming spool files.  Those can
automatically deleted by Gnus by setting the following.  Mine deletes
them after 1 day, you can set it to any value.

(setq mail-source-delete-incoming 1)
(setq mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm nil)

 sivaram