* Changing gnus-user-agent and showing all headers?
@ 2007-11-03 21:37 andrew
From: andrew @ 2007-11-03 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

 I am setting gnus up after a long time with slrn and have 2 quick
 questions:

1. I am trying to modify the gnus-user-agent setting to
   emacs-gnus-config with the following syntax:

(setq gnus-user-agent 'emacs-gnus-type)

but this does not work so my syntax is wrong?

2. In slrn I am used to toggling an 'all-header' display with the 't'
   key. Can this be done with gnus?

 Thank you very much for your trouble,

            Andrew

--
Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

* Re: Changing gnus-user-agent and showing all headers?
@ 2007-11-03 21:58 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-11-03 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 04 Nov 2007 08:37:19 +1100, andrew wrote:

> 1. I am trying to modify the gnus-user-agent setting to
>    emacs-gnus-config with the following syntax:

> (setq gnus-user-agent 'emacs-gnus-type)

gnus-user-agent is set to (emacs gnus type) in my emacs (I guess that is
the default, I don't remember changing it).

Perhaps writing something like this works:

 (setq gnus-user-agent '(emacs gnus type))

?

> but this does not work so my syntax is wrong?

I think so, cf. the documentation of gnus-user-agent:

,----[ C-h v gnus-user-agent RET ]
| `gnus-user-agent' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "gnus"
|
| Value: (emacs gnus type)
|
| Documentation:
| Which information should be exposed in the User-Agent header.
|
| Can be a list of symbols or a string.  Valid symbols are `gnus'
| (show Gnus version) and `emacs' (show Emacs version).  In
| addition to the Emacs version, you can add `codename' (show
| (S)XEmacs codename) or either `config' (show system
| configuration) or `type' (show system type).  If you set it to
| a string, be sure to use a valid format, see RFC 2616.
`----

(Note, I am using No Gnus, I haven't checked if this is the same in
older Gnusae).

> 2. In slrn I am used to toggling an 'all-header' display with the 't'
>    key. Can this be done with gnus?

I usually use 't' to do this in Gnus.

Also may also like C-u g which displays the raw article/email without
any formatting.

  Best regards,

--
 "You know, if the sun was an oboe, what would you do?"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Changing gnus-user-agent and showing all headers?
@ 2007-11-03 22:05 ` Joachim Reiter
From: Joachim Reiter @ 2007-11-03 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

* At 03.11.2007 22:37<andrew@ilium.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,

> 2. In slrn I am used to toggling an 'all-header' display with the 't'
>    key. Can this be done with gnus?

>  Thank you very much for your trouble,

Im still Newbie in Gnus, but I still can say you:

Press 't' to show, again 't' to hide 'all Headers'.

If I'm missunderstood your problem, I'm sorry (for my bad englisch too).

Greetings... Joachim

* Re: Changing gnus-user-agent and showing all headers?
@ 2007-11-03 22:42   ` andrew
From: andrew @ 2007-11-03 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On 04 Nov 2007 08:37:19 +1100, andrew wrote:
>
> > 1. I am trying to modify the gnus-user-agent setting to
> >    emacs-gnus-config with the following syntax:
>
> > (setq gnus-user-agent 'emacs-gnus-type)
>
> gnus-user-agent is set to (emacs gnus type) in my emacs (I guess that is
> the default, I don't remember changing it).
>
> Perhaps writing something like this works:
>
>  (setq gnus-user-agent '(emacs gnus type))

Hmmm... should work but I have tried the above syntax and variations of
it with no success. I am placing this in ~/.gnus.el whci I presume is
the correct location?

> > 2. In slrn I am used to toggling an 'all-header' display with the 't'
> >    key. Can this be done with gnus?
>
> I usually use 't' to do this in Gnus.

Thanks for this: works perfectly!

    Andrew

--

@ 2007-11-03 22:56     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-11-03 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 04 Nov 2007 09:42:28 +1100, andrew wrote:

>> Perhaps writing something like this works:

>> (setq gnus-user-agent '(emacs gnus type))

> Hmmm... should work but I have tried the above syntax and variations of
> it with no success. I am placing this in ~/.gnus.el whci I presume is
> the correct location?

How do you determine success?

I just tried evaluating:

  (setq gnus-user-agent '(emacs))

So if this article only has XEmacs in my User-Agent header, I guess it
worked here.

  Best regards,

--
 "Grittings. Ma nam is Kahlfin."                              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Changing gnus-user-agent and showing all headers?
@ 2007-11-03 23:03       ` andrew
From: andrew @ 2007-11-03 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On 04 Nov 2007 09:42:28 +1100, andrew wrote:
>
> >> Perhaps writing something like this works:
>
> >> (setq gnus-user-agent '(emacs gnus type))
>
> > Hmmm... should work but I have tried the above syntax and variations of
> > it with no success. I am placing this in ~/.gnus.el whci I presume is
> > the correct location?
>
> How do you determine success?
>
> I just tried evaluating:
>
>   (setq gnus-user-agent '(emacs))
>
> So if this article only has XEmacs in my User-Agent header, I guess it
> worked here.

Well I have duplicated this syntax exactly in my message. If it does not
only show emacs I shall eat my keyboard :-)

              Andrew

--

@ 2007-11-03 23:07         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-11-03 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 04 Nov 2007 10:03:26 +1100, andrew wrote:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> (setq gnus-user-agent '(emacs))

> Well I have duplicated this syntax exactly in my message. If it does
> not only show emacs I shall eat my keyboard :-)

Either you forgot to evaluate the above (or you didn't restart Gnus) or
the version you are using is old enough to be different than mine.

What does the documentation of gnus-user-agent say on your machine?
(I.e. press C-h v gnus-user-agent).

  Happy chewing,

     Adam

--
 "Your problem is you've got no common sense."                Adam Sjøgren
 "I've got PLENTY of common sense!                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Changing gnus-user-agent and showing all headers?
@ 2007-11-03 23:08         ` andrew
From: andrew @ 2007-11-03 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

andrew <andrew@ilium.invalid> writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

[...]

> > I just tried evaluating:
> >
> >   (setq gnus-user-agent '(emacs))
> >
> > So if this article only has XEmacs in my User-Agent header, I guess it
> > worked here.
>
> Well I have duplicated this syntax exactly in my message. If it does not
> only show emacs I shall eat my keyboard :-)

Munch, munch, munch ..... How very odd! Obviously any changes in this
line have absolutely _no_ effect on the header User-Agent. It must be
reading from somewhere else?

               Andrew.

--

@ 2007-11-03 23:22   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-03 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, Nov 03 2007, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> On 04 Nov 2007 08:37:19 +1100, andrew wrote:
>> (setq gnus-user-agent 'emacs-gnus-type)
[...]
>> but this does not work so my syntax is wrong?

Andrew, if your Gnus is ...
... then, setting `gnus-user-agent' has no effect at all.

> I think so, cf. the documentation of gnus-user-agent:
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-user-agent RET ]
> | `gnus-user-agent' is a variable declared in Lisp.
> |   -- loaded from "gnus"
> |
> | Value: (emacs gnus type)
[...]
> (Note, I am using No Gnus, I haven't checked if this is the same in
> older Gnusae).

`gnus-user-agent' was introduced on 2003-02-24.  Later I changed it to
use a list instead of a single symbol and added (hopefully)
appropriate conversion code:

;; Convert old (No Gnus < 2005-01-10, v5-10 < 2005-09-05) symbol type values:
(when (symbolp gnus-user-agent)
  (setq gnus-user-agent
	(cond ((eq gnus-user-agent 'emacs-gnus-config)
	       '(emacs gnus config))
	      ((eq gnus-user-agent 'emacs-gnus-type)
	       '(emacs gnus type))
	      ((eq gnus-user-agent 'emacs-gnus)
	       '(emacs gnus))
	      ((eq gnus-user-agent 'gnus)
	       '(gnus))
	      (t gnus-user-agent)))
  (gnus-message 1 "Converted `gnus-user-agent' to `%s'." gnus-user-agent)
  (sit-for 1)
  (if (get 'gnus-user-agent 'saved-value)
      (customize-save-variable 'gnus-user-agent gnus-user-agent)
    (gnus-message 1 "Edit your init file to make this change permanent.")
    (sit-for 2)))

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Changing gnus-user-agent and showing all headers?
@ 2007-11-03 23:58           ` andrew
From: andrew @ 2007-11-03 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On 04 Nov 2007 10:03:26 +1100, andrew wrote:
>
> > asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>
> >> (setq gnus-user-agent '(emacs))
>
> > Well I have duplicated this syntax exactly in my message. If it does
> > not only show emacs I shall eat my keyboard :-)
>
> Either you forgot to evaluate the above (or you didn't restart Gnus) or
> the version you are using is old enough to be different than mine.
>
> What does the documentation of gnus-user-agent say on your machine?
> (I.e. press C-h v gnus-user-agent).

Hmmm.. well that might be the answer: No Match !! My version of emacs
is:

andrew@ilium~$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 21.4.2

and I guess according to my User-Agent header  Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0).

Would I be better to simply install the newest stable release of emacs,
which I understand has the latest gnus? The version of emacs I have is
the default one that comes with slackware 12, I did not realise how aged
it was :-).

 Thanks for your patience,

     Andrew

--

@ 2007-11-04 21:32     ` andrew
From: andrew @ 2007-11-04 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Sat, Nov 03 2007, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>
>> On 04 Nov 2007 08:37:19 +1100, andrew wrote:
>>> (setq gnus-user-agent 'emacs-gnus-type)
> [...]
>>> but this does not work so my syntax is wrong?
>
> Andrew, if your Gnus is ...
> ... then, setting `gnus-user-agent' has no effect at all.

Thanks for this Reiner. I have downloaded and compiled the newer version
of emacs and so now running the newer gnus and I have now managed to set
the user-agent as I require. Should be seen in this message.

This is my first experiment with gnus and I am most impressed, even as a
long-time slrn user, although I suspect I will always be an slrn user
deep down :-)

 Thanks very much for your help!

         Andrew