* Re: how to declare a server denied at startup ?
       [not found] <85oeysnso7.fsf.hcanon@alussinan.org>
@ 2003-08-14 16:57 ` Jeffery B. Rancier
       [not found] ` <m34r0k6rc7.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-08-14 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubert Canon <hcanon@alussinan.org> writes:

> One of the news server is down. So the startup is way too slow. The
> failure is only temporary, so I don't want to unsubscribe nor kill
> the corresponding groups.

You might start with gnus-no-server if you just want mail, or set
nntp-connection-timeout from nil to a value in seconds.
--
Thanks,
Jeff

,----
| Jeffery B. Rancier
|
| Softechnics
| a METTLER TOLEDO company
`----

* Re: how to declare a server denied at startup ?
       [not found]     ` <84lltrdsz4.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-08-18 15:31       ` Andrew Nesbit
From: Andrew Nesbit @ 2003-08-18 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>> This tip is very handy for me too.  However, it doesn't work for my
>> primary select method, i.e.,
>>
> Use nnnil as the primary select method and make all servers
> secondary or foreign.

Yes, of course :)

To change it to a secondary select method, is it simply a matter of
quitting Gnus, changing both gnus-select-method and
gnus-secondary-select-methods, and then restarting Gnus?  Will doing
this mess up any of the administrative files that Gnus has already
written (~/.newsrc.eld, etc.)?

Andrew.