* Re: Bizarre problem - lockup sending mail
       [not found]             ` <ubrwkwnlp.fsf@swbell.net>
@ 2003-06-26 22:17               ` Paul Moore
       [not found]               ` <u1xxg8otk.fsf@swbell.net>
From: Paul Moore @ 2003-06-26 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> I'm on XP pro.  I have 2k on a laptop at home, If I get some time I'll
> toss emacs on it tonight.

Just installed 2k pro. Works fine there. Looks like it is an XP bug
:-( No idea if/how I'd report it, though. Maybe I'll just go back to
2k and dump XP...

Paul.

--
This signature intentionally left blank

@ 2003-06-27  7:10                 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-27  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> Once my smtp server identifies itself everything happens very quickly.
> For some reason after the initial connection is made the smtp server
> hangs for 3-4 mins...  I did some testing via telnet as well and it
> was always within 3-4 mins.  No idea what it's doing in that time, but
> in my case it looks like it's definitely the remote server as I first
> suspected.

Hm.  So maybe what you want now is something that does the sending in
the background.  People report that Hamster is a nice program.  Its
main purpose is to act as a local NNTP server, but it also groks POP3
and SMTP I think.  I guess that you can just tell Gnus to send mail
to Hamster and let it take care of sending the stuff out.

Another alternative might be to queue the mail using smtpmail.el,
maybe then you don't have to wait 3 mins for every mail.  But maybe
you do.
--
~/.signature

* Re: Bizarre problem - lockup sending mail
@ 2003-06-27 15:40                   ` Peter Lee
       [not found]                     ` <843chveavh.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-06-27 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> Hm.  So maybe what you want now is something that does the
    Kai> sending in the background.  People report that Hamster is a
    Kai> nice program.  Its main purpose is to act as a local NNTP
    Kai> server, but it also groks POP3 and SMTP I think.  I guess
    Kai> that you can just tell Gnus to send mail to Hamster and let
    Kai> it take care of sending the stuff out.

I'll give hamster a try (assuming there's a windows version).

    Kai> Another alternative might be to queue the mail using
    Kai> smtpmail.el, maybe then you don't have to wait 3 mins for
    Kai> every mail.  But maybe you do.  -- ~/.signature

I'd heard about this earlier but assumed at some point I'd need to
actually send the queued mails at which time I'd still suffer the
delay.  Since I don't send enough mail to warrant queueing I didn't
try this.

Hamster seems promising though.  I wonder how it reports failures?
Would it just log them and I'd have to check a log to make sure emails
were getting out fine?

@ 2003-06-28  7:02                       ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-06-28  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:
>
>> I'll give hamster a try (assuming there's a windows version).
>
> It's Windows-only, I believe.

Yes. (Ok, I just for fun tried some time ago to run it under wine and
it kinda worked, but well, why should anybody want that?)

--
WANTED: A nice signature
REWARD: none

* Re: Bizarre problem - lockup sending mail
       [not found]         ` <ur85jwl2p.fsf@swbell.net>
@ 2003-06-26 20:13           ` Paul Moore
       [not found]           ` <ptl0d3pk.fsf@yahoo.co.uk>
From: Paul Moore @ 2003-06-26 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Paul> Could it be a MULE issue, or a Windows line ending issue?
>     Paul> Dunno...
>
> Please send results if you find the issue... I have a similar problem
> with Gnus v5.10.2 on GNU Emacs 21.3.1.  I say similiar because in your
> case you say your network freezes whereas for me only gnus freezes for
> a few minutes.  Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.  I'm
> also on windows xp.

Aaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!

I just set up a port forwarder program. It does *nothing* apart from
forward port 25 on my PC to port 25 on my ISP's mail server, writing
out the data as it passes through. (OK, I didn't write it - it's the
one that comes with the "twisted" package for Python, modified with a
single print statement to log the data).

And the mail went fine.

Gack! Spit! Snarl!

Timing problem? The Python code slows the data stream down just enough
to avoid the problem? (Or is demonic posession of my PC a more likely
answer - no, I'm running a Windows OS, I *know* my PC is posessed by a
demon...)

Oh, hell. Where's that Windows 2000 CD?

Paul.
--