* Changing the first line of the answers
@ 2006-07-02  4:17 leandro noferini
From: leandro noferini @ 2006-07-02  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciao a tutti,

I would  like to change  the first line  of the answers not  writing the
email address  of the original poster  but only the  names (because it's
not good  writing email addresses in  the body of messages)  but I can't
understand how.

Really  I  can't understand  what  "part"  of  gnus/emacs controls  this
beavur: supercite?

--
Ciao
leandro

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Changing the first line of the answers
@ 2006-07-02  8:19 ` issdr
From: issdr @ 2006-07-02  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

leandro noferini wrote:

> I would  like to change  the first line  of the answers not  writing the
> email address  of the original poster  but only the  names (because it's
> not good  writing email addresses in  the body of messages)  but I can't
> understand how.

many ways to get there. i customized `message-insert-citation-line', ymmv:

(defun message-insert-citation-line ()
  "A replacement of the original `message-insert-citation-line'."
  (insert (if (message-news-p)
	      (let ((author (replace-regexp-in-string
			     "[()]\\| ?[^ ]*?@[^ ]* ?" ""
			     (mail-header-from message-reply-headers))))
		(if (string= author "")
		    "John R. Doe"
		  author))
	    "You")
	  " wrote:\n\n"))

  np: no song

* Re: Changing the first line of the answers
@ 2006-07-15 20:10 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-07-15 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ <f1> v message-citation-line-function RET ]
| message-citation-line-function is a variable defined in `message'.
| Its value is
| rs-message-insert-formated-citation-line
|
| Documentation:
| *Function called to insert the "Whomever writes:" line.
|
| Predefined functions include `message-insert-citation-line' and
| `message-insert-formated-citation-line' (see the variable
| `message-citation-line-format').
|
| Note that Gnus provides a feature where the reader can click on
| `writes:' to hide the cited text.  If you change this line too much,
| people who read your message will have to change their Gnus
| configuration.  See the variable `gnus-cite-attribution-suffix'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

`message-insert-formated-citation-line' is new in No Gnus:

,----[ <f1> v message-citation-line-format RET ]
| message-citation-line-format is a variable defined in `message'.
| Its value is
| "On %a, %b %d %Y, %n wrote:"
|
| Documentation:
| Format of the "Whomever writes:" line.
|
| The string is formatted using `format-spec'.  The following
| constructs are replaced:
|
|   %f   The full From, e.g. "John Doe <john.doe@example.invalid>".
|   %n   The mail address, e.g. "john.doe@example.invalid".
|   %N   The real name if present, e.g.: "John Doe", else fall
|        back to the mail address.
|   %F   The first name if present, e.g.: "John".
|   %L   The last name if present, e.g.: "Doe".
|
| All other format specifiers are passed to `format-time-string'
| which is called using the date from the article your replying to.
| Extracting the first (%F) and last name (%L) is done
| heuristically, so you should always check it yourself.
|
| Please also read the note in the documentation of
| `message-citation-line-function'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Bye, Reiner.