* keeping original date on attachments
@ 2006-12-01 16:40 Myriam Abramson
From: Myriam Abramson @ 2006-12-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could you tell me how to keep the original date when saving
attachments? The date seems to be always the current date and I can't
verify when the original file was created (I get homework from
students sometimes through email and I had a problem once receiving a
homework past the due date).

I do use Gnus 5.10 but not on this computer.

Thanks.
--
                                   myriam

* Re: keeping original date on attachments
@ 2006-12-01 21:57 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-01 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 01 2006, Myriam Abramson wrote:

> Could you tell me how to keep the original date when saving
> attachments? The date seems to be always the current date and I can't
> verify when the original file was created (I get homework from
> students sometimes through email and I had a problem once receiving a
> homework past the due date).

MIME has no notion of the date of an attachment.  In principle you
could check the "Date:" header of the message, but this header can be
forged easily.

> I do use Gnus 5.10 but not on this computer.
>
> Thanks.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: keeping original date on attachments
@ 2006-12-06  3:33   ` Myriam Abramson
From: Myriam Abramson @ 2006-12-06  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is that true of just gnus or of any email client? Outlook for example?

--

@ 2006-12-06  8:57     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-06  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Please don't top-post. ]

On Wed, Dec 06 2006, Myriam Abramson wrote:

>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> MIME has no notion of the date of an attachment.  In principle you
>> could check the "Date:" header of the message, but this header can be
>> forged easily.
[...]
> Is that true of just gnus or of any email client?

Yes.

> Outlook for example?

Yes, unless MS uses some non-standard extensions (e.g. X-... header).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)