* nnml article number gaps
@ 2007-12-02  4:47 nobrowser
From: nobrowser @ 2007-12-02  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I just took a nnml group with 5000+ articles and split it in two.  I
hoped that the number of articles Gnus asks me about when I open the
group would be smaller.  It isn't, and I realize this is because it
simply takes the ordinals of the last and first article and takes the
difference, and no renumbering occurs when articles are deleted.  So
then I thought nnml-generate-nov-databases (or its wrapper command in
the server buffer) would do that.  It doesn't either.  Is there any
non-manual way of squeezing the gaps in article numbers after mass
deletion?

* Re: nnml article number gaps
@ 2007-12-02 13:07 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2007-12-02 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

nobrowser <nobrowser@gmail.com> writes:
> Is there any non-manual way of squeezing the gaps in article numbers
> after mass deletion?

Move all the articles to the same group, thereby causing deletion and
re-insertion within the group.

M P A B m group.name RET

M P A        mark all articles, then
B m          move all those articles
group.name   to the group you're in

* Re: nnml article number gaps
@ 2007-12-02 18:27   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-12-02 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sun, Dec 02 2007, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> nobrowser <nobrowser@gmail.com> writes:
>> Is there any non-manual way of squeezing the gaps in article numbers
>> after mass deletion?
>
> Move all the articles to the same group, thereby causing deletion and
> re-insertion within the group.

In the development version there is...

,----[ (info "(gnus)Misc Group Stuff") ]
| `G z'
|      Compact the group under point (`gnus-group-compact-group').
|      Currently implemented only in nnml (*note Mail Spool::).  This
|      removes gaps between article numbers, hence getting a correct
|      total article count.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--