* HTML Emails
@ 2007-10-18  1:52 Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-18  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I mostly love the way gnus allows me to use xemacs to read and respond
to usenet articles and email messages, but I hate the way it currently
handles HTML emails. They are currently interpreted by xemacs internally
(I think by w3) and it does a horrible job.

Can someone suggest a way to spawn Firefox to read html messages, or
can they otherwise suggest a better, more up-to-date method for
handling html?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Watching all the days go by...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  Who are you and who am I?"

* Re: HTML Emails
@ 2007-10-18  1:54 ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-18  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> I mostly love the way gnus allows me to use xemacs to read and respond
> to usenet articles and email messages, but I hate the way it currently
> handles HTML emails. They are currently interpreted by xemacs internally
> (I think by w3) and it does a horrible job.
>
> Can someone suggest a way to spawn Firefox to read html messages, or
> can they otherwise suggest a better, more up-to-date method for
> handling html?

PS:

gnus-version
"Gnus v5.10.7"

(emacs-version)
"XEmacs 21.4 (patch 20) \"Double Solitaire\" [Lucid] (x86_64-unknown-linux, Mule) of Sat May 12 2007 on localhost.localdomain"
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and

@ 2007-10-18  4:07   ` slack-rat
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2231.1192691693.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: slack-rat @ 2007-10-18  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> a écrit profondement:

| Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
|
| > I mostly love the way gnus allows me to use xemacs to read and respond
| > to usenet articles and email messages, but I hate the way it currently
| > handles HTML emails. They are currently interpreted by xemacs internally
| > (I think by w3) and it does a horrible job.
| >
| > Can someone suggest a way to spawn Firefox to read html messages, or
| > can they otherwise suggest a better, more up-to-date method for
| > handling html?
|
| PS:
|
| gnus-version
| "Gnus v5.10.7"
|
| (emacs-version)
| "XEmacs 21.4 (patch 20) \"Double Solitaire\" [Lucid] (x86_64-unknown-linux, Mule) of Sat May 12 2007 on localhost.localdomain"

in .gnus, this works for me:

;; Show the text/plain part of a multipart
(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
      '("text/html"
	"text/richtext"))

;; I would like gnus to always use Netscape/mozilla/etc
(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox)

--
SlackRat
-

* Re: HTML Emails
@ 2007-10-18  7:14     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2231.1192691693.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-10-18  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

slack-rat <gnus@azurservers.com> writes:

Hi,

> in .gnus, this works for me:
>
> ;; Show the text/plain part of a multipart
> (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
>       '("text/html"
> 	"text/richtext"))

This will only preventy you from seeing the html part if a plain text
part is present in multipart messages.

> ;; I would like gnus to always use Netscape/mozilla/etc
> (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox)

And this affects only which browser to use when hitting RET on a link.

I use emacs-w3m [1] to render html mails inside emacs.

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
(setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
(setq mm-inline-large-images t)

Bye,
Tassilo
__________
[1] http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org
--
There is no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold, so he
turned the sun up.

* Re: HTML Emails
@ 2007-10-18  7:21   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-18  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, Oct 18 2007, Randy Yates wrote:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>
>> I mostly love the way gnus allows me to use xemacs to read and respond
>> to usenet articles and email messages, but I hate the way it currently
>> handles HTML emails. They are currently interpreted by xemacs internally
>> (I think by w3) and it does a horrible job.
>>
>> Can someone suggest a way to spawn Firefox to read html messages,

Only in the development version (`gnus-article-browse-html-article' is
on K H, <menu-bar> <Article> <MIME> <Multipart> <View HTML parts in
browser>):

,----[ <f1> f gnus-article-browse-html-article RET ]

`----

>> or can they otherwise suggest a better, more up-to-date method for
>> handling html?

Most people like `w3m' (emacs-w3m)...

,----[ (info "(emacs-mime)Display Customization") ]
`----

> "Gnus v5.10.7" "XEmacs 21.4 (patch 20) \"Double Solitaire\" [Lucid]
> (x86_64-unknown-linux, Mule)

Please upgrade to Gnus 5.10.8 available from the XEmacs packages tree.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: HTML Emails
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2231.1192691693.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-18 17:59       ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-18 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> slack-rat <gnus@azurservers.com> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> in .gnus, this works for me:
>>
>> ;; Show the text/plain part of a multipart
>> (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
>>       '("text/html"
>> 	"text/richtext"))
>
> This will only preventy you from seeing the html part if a plain text
> part is present in multipart messages.
>
>> ;; I would like gnus to always use Netscape/mozilla/etc
>> (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox)
>
> And this affects only which browser to use when hitting RET on a link.
>
> I use emacs-w3m [1] to render html mails inside emacs.
>
> (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
> (setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
> (setq mm-inline-large-images t)

Hi Tasilo,

I appreciate your response and the information you provided, but
I don't want to use w3m. I want to use firefox. This is because
(correct me if I'm wrong) firefox is more likely to have a more
complete implementation of html in all of its complexities than
w3m.

I tried substituting "firefox" for "w3m" but that didn't work. It
also seems there are many "sub-options" for the html rendering and
the entire mechanism is very confusing to me because I haven't seen
a document that ties all of these together from a top-level operational
point-of-view.

Any further information would be appreciated.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool -
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..."

@ 2007-10-18 18:11         ` Randy Yates
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2291.1192795535.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> slack-rat <gnus@azurservers.com> writes:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> in .gnus, this works for me:
>>>
>>> ;; Show the text/plain part of a multipart
>>> (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
>>>       '("text/html"
>>> 	"text/richtext"))
>>
>> This will only preventy you from seeing the html part if a plain text
>> part is present in multipart messages.
>>
>>> ;; I would like gnus to always use Netscape/mozilla/etc
>>> (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox)
>>
>> And this affects only which browser to use when hitting RET on a link.
>>
>> I use emacs-w3m [1] to render html mails inside emacs.
>>
>> (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
>> (setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
>> (setq mm-inline-large-images t)
>
> Hi Tasilo,

Sorry, that should be "Tassilo."

> I appreciate your response and the information you provided, but
> I don't want to use w3m. I want to use firefox. This is because
> (correct me if I'm wrong) firefox is more likely to have a more
> complete implementation of html in all of its complexities than
> w3m.
>
> I tried substituting "firefox" for "w3m" but that didn't work. It
> also seems there are many "sub-options" for the html rendering and
> the entire mechanism is very confusing to me because I haven't seen
> a document that ties all of these together from a top-level operational
> point-of-view.
>
> Any further information would be appreciated.

What I really would like to do is is bit more involved. While I'm
not a total stranger to lisp, my lisp programming skills are weak
(and my familiarity with xemacs/gnus lisp programming isn't all
that great either), so any leads/programming examples would be
appreciated.

What I'd like to do is, when I'm in the summary buffer, have the
body of all HTML messages suppressed - only the sender, subject,
etc. (i.e., the header) should be displayed. Then if I decide
it's from a trusted source, I'll invoke a key sequence to spawn
firefox to read the message.

How to do?

PS: When I substituted "firefox" for "w3m" I get

  Wrong type argument: listp, firefox

in the minibuffer.
--

@ 2007-10-19 12:05           ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2291.1192795535.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-10-19 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

Hi Randy,

> What I'd like to do is, when I'm in the summary buffer, have the body
> of all HTML messages suppressed - only the sender, subject,
> etc. (i.e., the header) should be displayed.

You could use

  (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
        '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched"))

which supresses viewing the HTML part and displays the plain-text part
instead.

> Then if I decide it's from a trusted source, I'll invoke a key
> sequence to spawn firefox to read the message.

If you'd use the development version of gnus, you could invoke `K H'
then, which opens the message in a browser.

> How to do?

If you upgrade to the devel-version you get that for free.

> PS: When I substituted "firefox" for "w3m" I get
>
>   Wrong type argument: listp, firefox
>
> in the minibuffer.

Yes, the variable only accepts a fixed set of values, firefox is none of
them.

,----[ C-h v mm-text-html-renderer RET ]
| mm-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
| Its value is w3m
|
| Documentation:
| Render of HTML contents.
| It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
| The defined renderer types are:
| `w3'   : use Emacs/W3;
| `w3m'  : use emacs-w3m;
| `w3m-standalone': use w3m;
| `links': use links;
| `lynx' : use lynx;
| `html2text' : use html2text;
| nil    : use external viewer.
`----

Oh, the last thing is interesting.  What happens when you set it to nil?
Does it use firefox then?  But be warned, this might be a security issue
if it openes FF unconditionally.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

* Re: HTML Emails
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2291.1192795535.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-19 14:31             ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-19 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> [...]
> If you upgrade to the devel-version you get that for free.

Hi Tassilo,

It sounds like that's the way to go, but my package manager "client"
is broken, and manually installing gnus seems to be a nightmare. I
downloaded the sumo tarball of packages and see the etc/, lisp/, and
other directories of gnus, but is it as simple as copying these
directories and their contents over the existing gnus directories?

Thanks again for your help.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  you still wander the fields of your

@ 2007-10-20 14:50               ` Randy Yates
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.2359.1192898563.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-20 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>> [...]
>> If you upgrade to the devel-version you get that for free.
>
> Hi Tassilo,
>
> It sounds like that's the way to go, but my package manager "client"
> is broken,

I fixed it, and I installed package version 1.91 (the latest) of
gnus, which gives me

  gnus-version
  "Gnus v5.10.8"

But the "K H" command doesn't work. Apparently this is not the
"development" version of gnus. How do I get this version installed
through the package manager? Or do I have to install it manually?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Midnight, on the water...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  I saw...  the ocean's daughter."

@ 2007-10-20 15:27               ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-10-20 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

Hi Randy,

> It sounds like that's the way to go, but my package manager "client"
> is broken, and manually installing gnus seems to be a nightmare.

Why do you think that?

,----[ ~/repos/gnus/README ]

[...]

| To use Gnus you first have to unpack the files, which you've obviously
| done, because you are reading this.
|
| You should definitely byte-compile the source files.  To do that, you
| can simply say "./configure && make" in this directory.
|
| Do not say "make install".  I repeat, do *NOT* say "make install".  If
| you say "make install" and then complain about things not working,
| I'll be very annoyed.  If you say "make install" and things happen to
| work, that's all fine and dandy for you, but it's quite likely that it
| won't.
|
| If you are using XEmacs, you *must* say "./configure && make
| EMACS=xemacs".
|
| Then you have to tell Emacs where Gnus is.  You might put something
| like
|
|    (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/ngnus-0.7/lisp") load-path))
|    (require 'gnus-load)
|
| in your .emacs file, or wherever you keep such things.
`----

That's all that is needed to get Gnus working.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: HTML Emails
@ 2007-10-20 16:42                 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.2359.1192898563.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-10-20 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

Hi Randy,

> But the "K H" command doesn't work. Apparently this is not the
> "development" version of gnus.

Right.

> How do I get this version installed through the package manager?

I don't think it's available with the package manager.

> Or do I have to install it manually?

Seems so.  In <87lk9xolgd.fsf@baldur.tsdh.de> I posted how to do that.
See [1] how to check out the sources from CVS.

Bye,
Tassilo

__________
[1] http://gnus.org/distribution.html

* Re: HTML Emails
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.2359.1192898563.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-20 18:31                   ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-10-20 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>
> Hi Randy,
>
>> But the "K H" command doesn't work. Apparently this is not the
>> "development" version of gnus.
>
> Right.
>
>> How do I get this version installed through the package manager?
>
> I don't think it's available with the package manager.
>
>> Or do I have to install it manually?
>
> Seems so.  In <87lk9xolgd.fsf@baldur.tsdh.de> I posted how to do that.
> See [1] how to check out the sources from CVS.

Done! Thanks for your help, Tassilo et al.!
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %             she does the things you do,