* Mapping of group names to filenames with nnml
@ 2002-07-23 16:59 Andrew Nesbit
       [not found] ` <vafheip54a1.fsf@INBOX.tok.lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Andrew Nesbit @ 2002-07-23 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I just need to get this clear so that I can get my
Procmail-filtering recipes working nicely with Gnus.  I can't find the
answers in the manual, nor the FAQ.  If I've missed something, please
point me in the right direction.

I take it from experience that periods in group names cause nnml to
store these groups as a directory hierarchy.  For example,
`nnml:mail.misc' has its messages stored under mail/misc, relative to
the setting of `nnml-directory'.  Do any other characters in group
names have side-effects like this?  What about for other backends?

If I have a procmail-generated spool file named, say,
`debian.user.spool', combined with a mail-source specifier like

        (directory :path "~/Mail/Spool/"
                   :suffix ".spool")

then does that mean that the group will be called `debian.user' and
that nnml will create a directory hierarchy, as described above, to
store its messages?

Thanks for the help.

Andrew.

* Re: Mapping of group names to filenames with nnml
       [not found] ` <vafheip54a1.fsf@INBOX.tok.lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-07-25  8:18   ` Andrew Nesbit
From: Andrew Nesbit @ 2002-07-25  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Andrew Nesbit <alnesbit@optushome.com.au> writes:
>
> > I take it from experience that periods in group names cause nnml to
> > store these groups as a directory hierarchy.
>
> Also see the variables gnus-use-long-file-name and
> nnmail-use-long-file-names.

Yep, that explains a lot for me.

> > If I have a procmail-generated spool file named, say,
> > `debian.user.spool', combined with a mail-source specifier like
> >
> >         (directory :path "~/Mail/Spool/"
> >                    :suffix ".spool")
> >
> > then does that mean that the group will be called `debian.user' and
> > that nnml will create a directory hierarchy, as described above, to
> > store its messages?
>
> This means that messages from the file ~/Mail/Spool/foo.bar.spool
> will be written to the group nnml:foo.bar.  So there is a direct
> correlation between the file name and the group name -- independent
> of what is the directory name used for the nnml:foo.bar group!

Okay, I see, now.

I do have one extra question now, though.  If a previously-nonexistent
spool file is created by Procmail whilst Gnus is running, then how do
I get the group associated with that spool file automatically created?
At present, the only way I know is to either quit and restart, or to
manually create the group with 'G m'.  Is there any automatic way?

Thankyou for the help :)

@ 2002-07-25 13:21     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-07-25 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 25 2002, Andrew Nesbit wrote:

> If a previously-nonexistent spool file is created by Procmail whilst
> Gnus is running, then how do I get the group associated with that
> spool file automatically created? At present, the only way I know is
> to either quit and restart, or to manually create the group with 'G
> m'. Is there any automatic way?

Did you try `F' (gnus-group-find-new-groups) and `g'
(gnus-group-get-new-news) in the *Group* buffer?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)