* External mbox files via http as foreign group
@ 2006-11-25 17:36 Reinhard Tartler
From: Reinhard Tartler @ 2006-11-25 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey there,

I'm using gnus for a while now, and I really enjoy it!

I'm trying to read debian bug reports as foreign groups. There is a
command line tool called 'bts' for that, which fetches the mbox via wget
and opens it with mutt, which is nice but not gnus ;)

The mbox files can be fetched via e.g.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=358563;mbox=yes

I'd like to have a lisp function, which queries or asks for the bug
number (358563 in this case), and then presents the mails inside there
as "foreign" group, so that I can answer on each mail individually.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 213 bytes --]

* Re: External mbox files via http as foreign group
@ 2006-11-25 23:27 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-11-25 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 25 2006, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> I'm trying to read debian bug reports as foreign groups. There is a
> command line tool called 'bts' for that, which fetches the mbox via wget
> and opens it with mutt, which is nice but not gnus ;)
[...]
> I'd like to have a lisp function, which queries or asks for the bug
> number (358563 in this case), and then presents the mails inside there
> as "foreign" group, so that I can answer on each mail individually.

;; rs-gnus-article.el -- Auxiliary article mode commands for Gnus
[...]

,----[ <f1> f rs-gnus-read-bug-group RET ]
| rs-gnus-read-bug-group is an interactive Lisp function in `rs-gnus-article.el'.
| (rs-gnus-read-bug-group number &optional mbox-url)
|
| Browse Debian Bug with number as ephemeral group.
`----

If people find this function useful, I could add it to the development
version of Gnus.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: External mbox files via http as foreign group
@ 2006-11-26 10:57   ` Reinhard Tartler
From: Reinhard Tartler @ 2006-11-26 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sat, Nov 25 2006, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to read debian bug reports as foreign groups. There is a
>> command line tool called 'bts' for that, which fetches the mbox via wget
>> and opens it with mutt, which is nice but not gnus ;)
> [...]
>> I'd like to have a lisp function, which queries or asks for the bug
>> number (358563 in this case), and then presents the mails inside there
>> as "foreign" group, so that I can answer on each mail individually.
>
> ;; rs-gnus-article.el -- Auxiliary article mode commands for Gnus
> [...]

I tried to install it. While byte compiling that file, I got these
errors. Perhaps I miss something obvious?

-----------
Compiling file /home/siretart/.lisp/rs-gnus-article.el at Sun Nov 26 11:50:41 2006

In rs-gnus-read-bug-group:
rs-gnus-article.el:128:19:Warning: `string-to-int' is an obsolete function (as
    of Emacs 22.1); use `string-to-number' instead.

In rs-browse-bugzilla:
rs-gnus-article.el:149:19:Warning: `string-to-int' is an obsolete function (as
    of Emacs 22.1); use `string-to-number' instead.

In rs-gnus-read-heise-message:
rs-gnus-article.el:166:19:Warning: `string-to-int' is an obsolete function (as
    of Emacs 22.1); use `string-to-number' instead.

In end of data:
rs-gnus-article.el:291:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be defined: w3m-url-valid,
    w3m-anchor, w3m-message, w3m-safe-view-this-url
-------------

I'm using emacs 22, (snapshot 20061123), and No Gnus 0.6.

> If people find this function useful, I could add it to the development
> version of Gnus.

I'd find those functions very useful, and would like to see them in the
devel version of Gnus!

--

@ 2006-11-26 13:33   ` Reinhard Tartler
From: Reinhard Tartler @ 2006-11-26 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ;; rs-gnus-article.el -- Auxiliary article mode commands for Gnus
> [...]

Ok, I did some stupid mistakes in using them. They do work now quite
well for me.

> If people find this function useful, I could add it to the development
> version of Gnus.

Perhaps you might want to use a more obvious
name. (rs-gnus-read-bug-group) could perhaps be named
(rs-gnus-read-debbugs-groups) for referencing debian bugtracker debbugs.

Anyway, thanks for your consideration.

--

@ 2006-11-26 20:53     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-11-26 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 26 2006, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
[...]
>> If people find this function useful, I could add it to the development
>> version of Gnus.
>
> Perhaps you might want to use a more obvious
> name. (rs-gnus-read-bug-group) could perhaps be named
> (rs-gnus-read-debbugs-groups) for referencing debian bugtracker debbugs.

Yes the current name is not good.  Even I often have to look into the
source to find it.  ;-)

> Anyway, thanks for your consideration.

On Sun, Nov 26 2006, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> While byte compiling that file, I got these errors. Perhaps I miss
> something obvious?

There was no error, only a few harmless warnings.  Anyhow, I've fixed
the warnings now.

> I'd find those functions very useful, and would like to see them in the
> devel version of Gnus!

You can accelerate the process by preparing a patch against No Gnus.
You can use my code and look for a suitable menu entry and key
binding.  :-)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,