* listserv archives
@ 2008-03-05 17:57 Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2008-03-05 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi.  I'm not sure if this is a good place to ask, but maybe
someone here can give me a pointer.  I was subscribed to a
listserv for which the admins pulled the plug, so on its
last day of existence (its existence, not mine) I had the
listserv send me all its archive files.  So now I have a 96
Mb file that is the concatenation of all those monthly
archive files.

So, the format of the messages in the archive is such that
each message starts like this (including the line of `='
signs):

Date:         Thu, 1 Jan 1998 18:26:39 -0500
Sender:       Foo-L <foo-l@indiana.edu>
From:         Joe Shmoe <dlopes@INDIANA.EDU>
Subject:      Some subject
Comments: To: foo-L <foo-l@indiana.edu>

Message text.

Can anyone give me advice about how to turn this into
something gnus can read as a threaded group?

* Re: listserv archives
@ 2008-03-05 23:35 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-05 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Mar 05 2008, Evans Winner wrote:

> So now I have a 96 Mb file that is the concatenation of all those
> monthly archive files.
>
> So, the format of the messages in the archive is such that
> each message starts like this (including the line of `='
> signs):
[...]

,----[ (info "(gnus)Foreign Groups") ]
| `G f'
|      Make a group based on some file or other
|      (`gnus-group-make-doc-group').  If you give a prefix to this
|      command, you will be prompted for a file name and a file type.
|      Currently supported types are `mbox', `babyl', `digest', `news',
|      `rnews', `mmdf', `forward', `rfc934', `rfc822-forward',
|      `mime-parts', `standard-digest', `slack-digest', `clari-briefs',
|      `nsmail', `outlook', `oe-dbx', and `mailman'.  If you run this
|      command without a prefix, Gnus will guess at the file type.  *Note
|      Document Groups::.
`----

For more information, see (info "(gnus)Document Groups") and
(info "(gnus)Document Server Internals").

If you had to provide your own type, it would be nice if you could
contribute it to Gnus.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,