* Re: saving downloaded posts
       [not found] ` <y68smyaf7ok.fsf@multics.mit.edu>
@ 2002-11-10  8:07   ` Abhijit Rao
       [not found]     ` <87r8dtvez5.fsf@unix.home>
From: Abhijit Rao @ 2002-11-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 22:02:51 -0500, David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu>
wrote:

>calmar <mac@calmar.ws> writes:
>> When I have there subcribed a group, and when I click on it with the
>> middle button from my mouse in order to see the group,
>> gnus is asking me about :
>> How many articles from comp.emacs.xemacs (default 1151)   (p.e.)
>>
>> So I download all these Messeges/Headers, and everything works fine so
>> far.
>> When I exit gnus or xemacs, and start gnus again, it askes me the same
>> question again. (which takes lot of time again until it's finished)
>> I guess it should store the messages anywhere, isn'it? and only
>> download new ones?
>
>It keeps track of which messages you've read, and offers you the
>opportunity to read messages you haven't yet.  This means that you
>need to explicitly 'read' every article.  'd' from the summary buffer
>will mark an article as read; 'C-k' will kill an article or thread
>(down-scoring it if you're using adaptive scoring); 'c' will mark all
>articles in the current group as read.

I am facing the same problem (even worse because I have a 2kb/sec
link).  I would like gnus to download all new messages to disk for
future reading/reference.  But I have not, yet, got gnus to do this...
Any pointer will be very welcome.

Thanks,

--
quasi
http://abhijit-rao.tripod.com/digital/lisp.html

"I slept with Faith, and found a corpse in my arms on awaking; I drank and danced all night with Doubt, and found her a virgin in the morning."
~ A. Crowley

* Re: saving downloaded posts
       [not found] <3dcdbaf3$1@news.swissonline.ch>
       [not found] ` <y68smyaf7ok.fsf@multics.mit.edu>
@ 2002-11-10 11:51 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-11-10 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 10 2002, calmar wrote:

> So I download all these Messeges/Headers, and everything works fine
> so far. When I exit gnus or xemacs, and start gnus again, it askes
> me the same question again. (which takes lot of time again until
> it's finished) I guess it should store the messages anywhere,
> isn'it? and only download new ones?

Do you quit Gnus properly before exiting XEmacs? I.e. use `q' (not `Q'
or `C-x C-c') from the Group buffer?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: saving downloaded posts
       [not found]       ` <3dcee01a$1@news.swissonline.ch>
@ 2002-11-10 23:07         ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2002-11-10 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

 m> When I use gnus it will happen like this? : *until 4 the same*
 m> 1. I subscribe to a group
 m> 2. I download all header
 m> 3. I can mark them as important ... read or however
 m> 4. I exit from there
 m> .
 m> 5. When I reenter:
 -> I can *by default* not read already read messages

Correct. They're suppressed for display in favor of the new ones. Why
representing again those read messages -- there may be really many of
them and it may slow down the process and make the screen much more
messy.

But if you want to see, say, 97 read messages while there're 3 unread,
enter the group with C-u 100 (ret|space). If you want to see both new
and old, but all of them, emit 100. That's simply C-u (ret|space).

So, you can read them, but they're not displayed by default -- and I
think, that's made for a good reason. If you used some other newsreader
(say, slrn; IMO, Mozilla doesn't look much like MUA or newsreader, as
well as Outlook -- and therefore it shouldn't be used as such), you'd
notice, this is a common behaviour.

 -> Messages which I did not read before, I have to  download again

Err... ``Download'' -- what do you mean? Do you use agent or what?

 m> Well I know this behaviour can be changed, but it's the default isn't
 m> it, and therefore also the common way people read news with gnus?

``The common way'' is simply to either read or kill all the new news, so
there're no new ones remaining.

--
                     With respect, Vasily Korytov

PGP key fingerprint: 123A 7CCE 6E26 6233 0D87 E01A A0F8 3524 FCD8 1841

* Re: saving downloaded posts
@ 2002-11-11  0:14           ` calmar
From: calmar @ 2002-11-11  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Vasily Korytov wrote:

>  -> Messages which I did not read before, I have to  download again
>
> Err... ``Download'' -- what do you mean? Do you use agent or what?

Thanks for your answers. I will try to get such a 'local caching
newsserver' as you suggest, then I guess I will have all I need,
and can also read messages one week ago even when read.

calmar