* Read while uploading
@ 2002-08-14  0:11 R. Molen
       [not found] ` <v9sn1heeii.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
From: R. Molen @ 2002-08-14  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Help! This is a gnusbie question, but the answer was not obvious to me
in my info file.

When I select a group that I've previously visited in Gnus v5.9.0, Emacs
21.2.1 for WinNT queries how many messages to upload.  It uploads what
seems to be the entire newsgroup regardless of my answer.

I want to be able to start reading shortly after selecting the group.
So I guess my questions are:

1. How do I keep the prior messages?

2. How do I read selected group(s) in the background so that they are
    ready to read?

My .emacs stuff is below.

TIA for any comments

R. Molen

;;;gnus
  (setq gnus-nntp-server nil) ; default nil -- overrides
gnus-select-method
  (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.iccinternet.com"))
  (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups "ask-server")
  (setq gnus-save-killed-list nil) ;don't save list of killed groups.
  (setq gnus-inhibit-startup-message t)
  (setq gnus-auto-select-first nil)

;timestamp when group last read
(add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook 'gnus-group-set-timestamp)
(setq gnus-group-line-format  "%M\%S\%p\%P\%5y: %(%-40,40g%) %d\n")
     ;timestamp in ISO8601 format

;preread articles -- reduces wait increases traffic
(setq gnus-asynchronous t)
(setq gnus-use-article-prefetch 10) ;#,t=infinite,nil
(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 'invisible) ;quicker A T thread fetches

;persistent articles support
(setq gnus-use-cache 'passive)

(setq gnus-use-trees t) ;make additional thread tree buffer

(gnus-async-prefetch-article-p gnus-async-read-p) ; skip read articles

;;;using Gnus to handle mail
(load-library "message")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

* Re: Read while uploading
       [not found]   ` <uofc5qwna.fsf@postbox-lax.iccinternet.com>
@ 2002-08-14 16:58     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-08-14 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 14 2002, R. Molen wrote:

> I would like gnus to work like the Netscape newsgroup reader in that
> the reader asks how many messages to download & then 'marks the rest as
> having been read'.  The next time I view the newsgroup the reader downloads
> only new messages, but I can see all the messages I downloaded previously
> along with the new messages.

If you want to read say 40 message and mark all older as read: Enter
the group with `40 RET' and read the messages. Quit the group with
`q'. Put the cursor on the group again and hit `C' (<menu-bar> <group>
<catch up all articles>). This will mark all articles as read.

> How many articles from gnu.emacs.gnus (default 3380): 20
> nntp read: 1048k
> Fetching headers done...
> Generating summary.
>
> Note that the nntp read: 1048k (or so) is pretty much the same value
> whether I request 3380 or 20 articles.  It takes a couple of minutes
> for the 'nntp read' to take place.

Maybe you'll find suggestions in the Gnus manual (search for »slow«?),
in the archives or on <URL: http://my.gnus.org/>.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,