* Binary capability in Gnus
@ 2006-04-29 19:52 Aaron Hsu
From: Aaron Hsu @ 2006-04-29 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have Gnus running quite well on my system, mostly for IMAP email and
lot's of little text newsgroups. However, I occassionally venture into
binary newsgroups for one reason or another. I find that I am often
trying to find one particular file or item, and there are so many binary
newsgroups, I find it hard to know where to find which ones. Can someone
provide some advice on the most effecient way to search through multiple
binary groups for a specific file?

As well, can someone point me to some documentation on how Gnus works
with binary files and how it decodes them? I have never used Gnus for
binary files, so I don't know where to start. Some information on Yenc
files would be good. Also, I notice a lot of binary files are encoded in
RAR format, but are split and not one single file. What is the best way
to decompress these files on Linux? I know that some newsreaders do the
combining and unarchiving automatically, but I did not see anything in
the Gnus manual that would hint to it being able to do that.

--
Aaron Hsu <spam@sacrificumdeo.net> Jabber: arcfide@xmpp.us
<http://www.sacrificumdeo.net> "Extend beyond the Mortal . . . ."

* Re: Binary capability in Gnus
@ 2006-04-30 10:59 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-30 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aaron Hsu <spam@sacrificumdeo.net> writes:

> As well, can someone point me to some documentation on how Gnus works
> with binary files and how it decodes them?

Have a look in the Gnus manual where it talks about uudecoding and
stuff.  Most of the relevant commands are on the `X' keymap.

* Re: Binary capability in Gnus
@ 2006-04-30 12:49 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-30 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 29 2006, Aaron Hsu wrote:

> As well, can someone point me to some documentation on how Gnus works
> with binary files and how it decodes them?

See e.g. (info "(gnus)Decoding Articles") and ...

,----[ (info "(gnus)Setting Process Marks") ]
| `M P a'
|      Mark all articles in series order (`gnus-uu-mark-all').
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Binary capability in Gnus
@ 2006-05-01  1:36   ` Aaron Hsu
From: Aaron Hsu @ 2006-05-01  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Aaron Hsu <spam@sacrificumdeo.net> writes:
>
>> As well, can someone point me to some documentation on how Gnus works
>> with binary files and how it decodes them?
>
> Have a look in the Gnus manual where it talks about uudecoding and
> stuff.  Most of the relevant commands are on the `X' keymap.

I take it then that Yenc files are not supported?

--

@ 2006-05-01  4:06     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-05-01  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aaron Hsu <spam@sacrificumdeo.net> writes:
> I take it then that Yenc files are not supported?

There seems to be some support, though maybe not exactly the same way as
uuencoded files -- if you read a message with yenc encoding, it shows a
pseudo-mime like notation, and the usual mime commands work (e.g., `b'
will prompt you to save the yenc contents).

I'm not sure whether there's a way to combine this was the usual Gnus
series commands (`M P s' etc)...

-Miles
--
=====
(^o^;

* Re: Binary capability in Gnus
@ 2006-05-01  5:24       ` Aaron Hsu
From: Aaron Hsu @ 2006-05-01  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Aaron Hsu <spam@sacrificumdeo.net> writes:
>> I take it then that Yenc files are not supported?
>
> There seems to be some support, though maybe not exactly the same way as
> uuencoded files -- if you read a message with yenc encoding, it shows a
> pseudo-mime like notation, and the usual mime commands work (e.g., `b'
> will prompt you to save the yenc contents).
>
> I'm not sure whether there's a way to combine this was the usual Gnus
> series commands (`M P s' etc)...

And here I thought Gnus was the newsreader that did everything... ;-)

Well, I am not sure that it quite suffices for my needs, but at least I
know that something is there for the using.

At least, is there a way to search for articles over multiple groups? I
am using Giganews, and I would like to do searches for topics over say,
a subset of newsgroups like gnu.emacs.* or something. However, I would
not be subscribed to all those newsgroups, and I would really only want
to pinpoint a few files very quickly.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-05-01 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aaron Hsu <spam@sacrificumdeo.net> writes:

> At least, is there a way to search for articles over multiple groups?

There is no pre-defined functionality in Gnus for doing this.