* Why is gnus-summary-insert-new-articles considered a limiting command?
@ 2007-10-11  7:51 Ferran Jorba
From: Ferran Jorba @ 2007-10-11  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi Gnuers,

a while ago I learned that the fast (right? optimal?) way to update my
imap inbox is with gnus-summary-insert-new-articles (bound to `/ N').
However, I've noticed that gnus-summary-pop-limit (`/ w') reverts the
situation.  This is strange, moreover when I do some *real* limiting (by
subject or author) and then, when I pop those limits Gnus happily goes
back to the situation when I first updated my inbox with `/ N', maybe a
few hours ago.

Perhaps I'm not using the right command to update my inbox?  Which
should I use?  Or, why is gnus-summary-insert-new-articles considered a
limiting (instead of an updating) command, other than they appear in the
same page [1] of the manual?

Thanks,

Ferran

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Limiting.html

* Re: Why is gnus-summary-insert-new-articles considered a limiting command?
@ 2007-10-20 17:29 ` Jens Thiele
From: Jens Thiele @ 2007-10-20 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 11 Okt 2007, Ferran.Jorba@uab.cat wrote:

> Hi Gnuers,
>
> a while ago I learned that the fast (right? optimal?) way to update my
> imap inbox is with gnus-summary-insert-new-articles (bound to `/ N').
> However, I've noticed that gnus-summary-pop-limit (`/ w') reverts the
> situation.  This is strange, moreover when I do some *real* limiting
> (by subject or author) and then, when I pop those limits Gnus happily
> goes back to the situation when I first updated my inbox with `/ N',
> maybe a few hours ago.
>
> Perhaps I'm not using the right command to update my inbox?  Which
> should I use?

I use gnus-summary-rescan-group (bound to "M-g" in the summary buffer)

M-g runs the command gnus-summary-rescan-group
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
It is bound to M-g, Z G, <menu-bar> <Gnus> <Exit> <Rescan group>.
(gnus-summary-rescan-group &optional ALL)

Exit the newsgroup, ask for new articles, and select the newsgroup.

* Re: Why is gnus-summary-insert-new-articles considered a limiting command?
@ 2007-10-20 21:10   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-20 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, Oct 20 2007, Jens Thiele wrote:

> On 11 Okt 2007, Ferran.Jorba@uab.cat wrote:
>> a while ago I learned that the fast (right? optimal?) way to update my
>> imap inbox is with gnus-summary-insert-new-articles (bound to `/ N').
>> However, I've noticed that gnus-summary-pop-limit (`/ w') reverts the
>> situation.  This is strange, moreover when I do some *real* limiting
>> (by subject or author) and then, when I pop those limits Gnus happily
>> goes back to the situation when I first updated my inbox with `/ N',
>> maybe a few hours ago.

So it's how a limiting command is supposed to behave, isn't it?

>> Perhaps I'm not using the right command to update my inbox?  Which
>> should I use?
>
> I use gnus-summary-rescan-group (bound to "M-g" in the summary buffer)

`/ N' is supposed to be faster than `M-g'.

>> Or, why is gnus-summary-insert-new-articles considered a limiting
>> (instead of an updating) command, other than they appear in the
>> same page [1] of the manual?

I don't know why it was implemented like this.  Does anyone recall?
Maybe you can find something in the archives.  It has been added in
2001:

,----[ ChangeLog.2 ]
| 2001-02-22 22:00:00  ShengHuo ZHU  <zsh@cs.rochester.edu>
|
| 	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-fetch-headers): New function.
| 	(gnus-select-newsgroup): Use it.
| 	(gnus-summary-insert-articles): New function.
| 	(gnus-summary-insert-old-articles): New function.
| 	(gnus-summary-insert-new-articles): New function.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,