* not reading news, only email
@ 2007-09-22 15:09 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-09-22 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I have always used gnus to read both news and email. But now I have a
system where I only use it for mail.
Everytime I start gnus I get the message
"Unable to open nntp:news, go offline? (y or n)"
Obviously I am not subscribed to any newsgroup on that machine.

What is the best way to tell gnus not to try nntp? Should it even try
it if there's no subscription to any newsgroup?

I use emacs from CVS trunk.

Thanks

        --dan

* Re: not reading news, only email
@ 2007-09-23  8:08 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-09-23  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

My suggestion is to set gnus-select-method to nnil as:
,----
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
`----

And then set gnus-secondary-select-methods to your mail accounts.

HTH,

* Re: not reading news, only email
@ 2007-09-23  8:33 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-09-23  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, Sep 22 2007, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> I have always used gnus to read both news and email. But now I have a
> system where I only use it for mail.
> Everytime I start gnus I get the message
> "Unable to open nntp:news, go offline? (y or n)"
> Obviously I am not subscribed to any newsgroup on that machine.
>
> What is the best way to tell gnus not to try nntp?

Customize `gnus-select-method' to use the nnnil back end instead of
nntp, e.g. (nnnil "").  Alternatively, use your preferred mail back
end as primary select method (`gnus-select-method' instead of
`gnus-secondary-select-methods').

I notice that nnnil is not documented in the manual.  From `nnnil.el':

;;; Commentary:

;; nnnil is a Gnus backend that provides no groups or articles.  It's useful
;; as a primary select method when you want all your real select methods to
;; be secondary or foreign.

> Should it even try it if there's no subscription to any newsgroup?

I think it should.  Gnus automatically subscribes some groups and the
user probably wants to start subscribing when no groups are subscribed
yet.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,