* Q: Ignoring all binaries in binary newsgroup?
@ 2005-11-28 17:33 support.services.complaints
From: support.services.complaints @ 2005-11-28 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I at times have cause to read groups in the a.b hier. Some of the posts
are text but the fast majority of them are yEnc or UU. I would like to
be able to see all the text messages, but ignore all the binary
messages.

I would be happy to hear of some suggestions on how i might do this.

I have more questions in the future as i try to learn gnus, but this is
the first and most important one.

Thanks,
Haz

* Re: Q: Ignoring all binaries in binary newsgroup?
@ 2005-11-30 21:15 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-30 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 28 2005, support.services.complaints@gmail.com wrote:

> I at times have cause to read groups in the a.b hier. Some of the posts
> are text but the fast majority of them are yEnc or UU. I would like to
> be able to see all the text messages, but ignore all the binary
> messages.

AFAIK there is no way to recognize yEnc or uuencoded from the headers
of a posting.  Gnus supports scoring on the body, but it most probably
is quite slow.

Maybe it makes more sense to score on the number of lines in the
article.  Hm, it seems that NNTP doesn't provide the "Lines:" header.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Q: Ignoring all binaries in binary newsgroup?
@ 2005-11-30 22:04   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2005-11-30 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> Maybe it makes more sense to score on the number of lines in the
> article.  Hm, it seems that NNTP doesn't provide the "Lines:" header.

I think it does, at least with HEAD. I don't remember if XOVER
provides it.

* Re: Q: Ignoring all binaries in binary newsgroup?
@ 2005-12-01 12:38     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-12-01 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 30 2005, Jesper Harder wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> Maybe it makes more sense to score on the number of lines in the
>> article.  Hm, it seems that NNTP doesn't provide the "Lines:" header.
>
> I think it does, at least with HEAD.

Thanks for the correction.  I don't know why I didn't find it last
time.

Scoring on head is quite slow compared to XOVER.  It'd be preferable
if "Lines:" is in the overview.

> I don't remember if XOVER provides it.

I guess it depends on the server configuration.  My leafnode2 has it:

LIST overview.fmt
215 information follows