* Re: Separate mail settings from news settings.
       [not found] ` <v9lmck4g4r.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2002-03-25 20:49   ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]     ` <v9y9gfs4up.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-03-25 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> BTW, is the documentation about marks-files missing? I couldn't find
> anything in the gnus info files.

There is some documentation in the nnml / nnfolder nodes.  I added a
concept index entry for "marks".  Please suggest other improvements.

* Re: nnml / nnfolder marks
       [not found]       ` <ilu7knzxi8o.fsf@extundo.com>
@ 2002-03-26 20:15         ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]           ` <iluk7rzvz51.fsf@extundo.com>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-03-26 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 26 2002, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

>> Up to now, I disabled marks files in my nnfolder groups (by setting
>> nnfolder-nov-is-evil to `t'), because I wasn't able to set different
>            ^^^
>
> marks, right?

sure, sorry.

>> ,----[ C-h v gnus-secondary-select-methods RET ]
[...]

,----
| ;;; Editing the select method for `nnfolder+current:Spam'.
| ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
|
| "nnfolder:current"
`----

It's an `old' group. Is this what it's supposed to look like? I also
created a new group with `G m':

,----
| ;;; Editing the select method for
| `nnfolder+current:Test.server-parameters'.
| ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
|
| (nnfolder "current")
`----

Different, but the marks were written to
~/Mail/Test.server-parameters.mrk too.

>>> So it went to the *Server* buffer and edited nnfolder:current,
>> inserted `nnfolder-marks-directory' and exited Gnus. Now I had ...
[...]
> Also looks fine, altough I'm not sure if it is supposed to be possible
> to edit server definitions if you defined it in .gnus?

Does *anybody* know? ;-)

>> But after restarting Gnus, apparently the entry from
>> `gnus-secondary-select-methods' overwrote `gnus-server-alist'. I got
>> marks in ~/Mail again. :-(
>
> Right, this was what I feared.  Gnus should have warned you about this
> when you pressed `e' to edit the server though, and it does for me.

Hmm. I got no warning.

>> Is there a spot in the manual where this stuff is explained?
>
> No, everyone just guesses. :-)
>
> It is a bit messy, but cleaning it up would cause the worst kind of
> backwards incompatibility so I guess it won't happen soon.  The best
> solution would be if there was only one variable that were used to
> define Gnus servers, and it was customizable.

Thanks for the explanation.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: nnml / nnfolder marks
       [not found]             ` <v9k7rz2dy0.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2002-04-02 13:10               ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-04-02 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 26 2002, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26 2002, Simon Josefsson wrote:

>> Yes.  Looks good.  I don't understand why it doesn't work.  Do you
>> define nnfolder:current more than once or something similar strange?
>
> AFAICS, no. I use `setq' once (not `add-to-list') to set
> `gnus-secondary-select-methods'. (And in the server buffer, I find
> only one line for it: »{nnfolder:current} (opened)«)
>
>> Does nnfolder-nov-directory also not work?  If so I guess the problem
>> isn't marks related, so we should look elsewhere to find what is
>> causing it.  You are restarting everything after making changes?
>
> Yes. I removed *.nov and *.mrk files, then restarted Emacs+Gnus.
> nnfolder-nov-directory doesn't work: The *.nov and *.mrk files are
> created in ~/Mail/, for both, new (»(nnfolder "current")«) and old
> (»nnfolder:current«) groups.

[Server parameters are ignored I've set `nnfolder-nov-directory' and
`nnfolder-marks-directory' in `gnus-secondary-select-methods' but Gnus
nevertheless uses ~/Mail/]

In the meantime I discovered that the behavior depends on whether or
not I give Gnus a numerical argument:

Normally I use »emacs -f gnus« (together with (setq
gnus-activate-level 4)) ==> *.mrk & *.nov files in ~/Mail/.

But if I use »--eval '(gnus 4)'« or use `C-u 4 M-x gnus' the marks and
nov files are stored in the right place.

This seems quite strange to me. :-/ Unfortunately, I'm not able to
reproduce this using a different account (removing ~/.newsrc.eld and
starting from scratch).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,