* Re: Gnus always downloads 19Mb headers
       [not found]     ` <vafelfw1eqr.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-06-05 17:09       ` Felix Natter
       [not found]         ` <v94rghs4j4.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
From: Felix Natter @ 2002-06-05 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai  Großjohann) writes:

> Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > Is there something (besides setting `gnus-fetch-old-headers' to nil)
> > that I can do ?
>
> You can set it to some other value, such as `some' or a number...
>
> Is that bad?  Why?

Well, I wouldn't want to set it to nil, because I want this:

O  [  20: Felix Natter        ] soundkarten-mixing
O      [  16: Jörg Prante         ]
O          [  43: Felix Natter        ]
               [  89: Felix Natter        ]

Can you please explain: what is the exact the difference between t and
'some ? I looked at the docs and it's not clear to me.

thanks,

--
Felix Natter
Obsessive. C-K. (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/)

* What is (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers number) supposed to do? (was: Gnus always downloads 19Mb headers)
       [not found]           ` <vaf3cw0ipav.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-06-06 15:38             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-06-06 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 06 2002, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I've experimented with setting it to a number, say N. Then, Gnus only
>> seemed to fetch old headers, if there were less than N articles in
>> this group (total number of articles). But maybe my impression wrong.
>> Is this how it's supposed to work?
>
> I think it's supposed to always fetch N old headers, unless the group
> has less than N articles (then it fetches all headers).

This is what I expected to see, too.

It would be very nice to have something like this (don't know if it's
possible):

1. Fetch unread (and ticked) articles.
2. Look at the References and fetch at most N old (parent-) articles of
   those articles.

> It doesn't make sense for it to fetch no old headers at all in large
> groups.

I switched back to (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 2000) now. In some
groups (or even some threads?) I see old headers and in others not,
though there should be some very recent parent articles. E.g. here in
gnus.emacs.gnus I see:

  +[  16: Kai Großjohann      ] Re: Gnus always downloads 19Mb headers
O  [  24: Armin Lambacher     ] Re: strange error message with imap
O +  [  11: those who know me ha]
O      [  17: Armin Lambacher     ]
O +      [  17: those who know me ha]
           [  37: Armin Lambacher     ]
O +  [  24: Simon Josefsson     ]
O      [ 156: Armin Lambacher     ]
O +      [  33: Simon Josefsson     ]
           [  14: Armin Lambacher     ]
  +[  19: Kai Großjohann      ] Re: nnimap and split with parent
   [  35: Uli Wortmann        ] Re: gnus/nnimap behaviour in case of [...]

I would expect to see (at least some of) the parents of _both_ of your
articles Kai, as the parents are from today, so they definitively are
within the value 2000 of gnus-fetch-old-headers. The highest article
number for g.e.g is around 22162. Changing gnus-fetch-old-headers to
30000 and re-entering the group also didn't show me all expected
parents. I can't see any systematic behavior. :-(

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)