* problems with the news-reply-hook and the message-setup-hook
@ 2007-11-15 18:18 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2007-11-15 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello

As you may all know today the top *posting style* is the "standard" for
a lot of users and one has almost to apologise  for using *bottom
posting* or *inline replying*. So I modified some old code of bbdbsig
which inserted different signatures according to a certain bbdb
field.

My code basically follows the same idea, just at the very beginning of
the message there is a line

Hello user,

According to your last mail,

And then comes the quote.

Now that function I have defined interactively and in this way I can
call it, however I would find it more convenient to have it in a hook,
so that I don't have to call the function explicitly however I put it
in the news-reply-hook and in the message-setup-hook without any
result. Can anybody give me an idea?

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: problems with the news-reply-hook and the message-setup-hook
@ 2007-11-17 13:01 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-17 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, Nov 15 2007, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> As you may all know today the top *posting style* is the "standard" for
> a lot of users

In No Gnus, there is `message-cite-reply-above', but it's doc string
says "This variable has no effect in news postings."

> and one has almost to apologise for using *bottom posting* or
> *inline replying*.

> Now that function I have defined interactively and in this way I can
> call it, however I would find it more convenient to have it in a
> hook, so that I don't have to call the function explicitly however I
> put it in the news-reply-hook

There's no such hook in Gnus, AFAICS.

> and in the message-setup-hook without any result. Can anybody give
> me an idea?

Maybe setting `message-citation-line-format' (new in No Gnus,
cf. `message-insert-formatted-citation-line') specially for these
groups?

When using `message-setup-hook' you need to make sure to jump to the
right position in the message buffer: `message-goto-body', ...

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: problems with the news-reply-hook and the message-setup-hook
@ 2007-11-19 14:23   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2007-11-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

   > In No Gnus, there is `message-cite-reply-above', but it's doc string
   > says "This variable has no effect in news postings."

Well I am using no gnus 0.6 and can't find this variable so it must be
new.

   >> and one has almost to apologise for using *bottom posting* or
   >> *inline replying*.

   >> Now that function I have defined interactively and in this way I can
   >> call it, however I would find it more convenient to have it in a
   >> hook, so that I don't have to call the function explicitly however I
   >> put it in the news-reply-hook

   > There's no such hook in Gnus, AFAICS.

   >> and in the message-setup-hook without any result. Can anybody give
   >> me an idea?

   > Maybe setting `message-citation-line-format' (new in No Gnus,
   > cf. `message-insert-formatted-citation-line') specially for these
   > groups?

The problem is that starts with a
besides it  is not flexible enough and it is not connected to
bbdb. The idea I had was that such a string is configured according
to a relevant entry in the bbdb.

   > When using `message-setup-hook' you need to make sure to jump to the
   > right position in the message buffer: `message-goto-body', ...

I have the feeling that it there is a conflict with supercite, like
supercite inserts its stuff first and then my bbdbcite command is not
executed.

Uwe

* Re: problems with the news-reply-hook and the message-setup-hook
@ 2007-11-19 18:19     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-19 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

,----
| 2006-06-21  Reiner Steib  <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>
|
| 	* message.el (message-cite-reply-above): New variable.
| 	(message-yank-original): Use it.
`----

Using an outdated CVS version is not recommended.

>    > When using `message-setup-hook' you need to make sure to jump to the
>    > right position in the message buffer: `message-goto-body', ...
>
> I have the feeling that it there is a conflict with supercite, like
> supercite inserts its stuff first and then my bbdbcite command is not
> executed.

IIRC this is not the first problem with supercite.  Maybe you should
reconsider using it.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,