* How to send email?
@ 2006-05-18  6:31 Jijun MA
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jijun MA @ 2006-05-18  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

i want send email via smtp, and i have added pop, smtp and  this lines in .gnus.el

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook 'mail-source-touch-pop)

but when i finished an email, and type C-c C-c
the error message is :

Sending via mail...
message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 1

--

           fireflower

* Re: How to send email?
@ 2006-05-18  7:08 ` Jijun MA
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jijun MA @ 2006-05-18  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

it is really hard to use

--

           fireflower

* Re: How to send email?
@ 2006-05-18  7:21 ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2006-05-18  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jijun MA <jjmmma@gmail.com> writes:

> i want send email via smtp, and i have added pop, smtp and this lines
> in .gnus.el
>
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook 'mail-source-touch-pop)

I guess that you have set up your email address somewhere else, too?

> but when i finished an email, and type C-c C-c
> the error message is :
>
> Sending via mail...
> message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 1

Have you already read
http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_136.html#SEC136
?

If this should not help, please tell us if you want to use sendmail or
alike or you want to send the mail directly to a foreign SMTP server.

Greetings
Malte

* Re: How to send email?
@ 2006-05-18  7:35   ` Jijun MA
From: Jijun MA @ 2006-05-18  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Malte Spiess <cuts@arcor.de> writes:

> I guess that you have set up your email address somewhere else, too?

yes, i got it
i have set another email address, not the one of the smtp i use
thank you

--

           fireflower

* Re: How to send email?
@ 2006-05-18  7:41 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-05-18  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i want send email via smtp, and i have added pop, smtp and this
> lines in .gnus.el

> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook 'mail-source-touch-pop)

mail-source-touch-pop requires that you set
message-send-mail-function to message-smtpmail-send-it, not
smtpmail-send-it.  See (info "(gnus)POP before SMTP").

> but when i finished an email, and type C-c C-c
> the error message is :

> Sending via mail...
> message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 1

Hmm, it says message-send-mail-function has not been customized.
What is the file in which you've put the above two lines?

> it is really hard to use

Maybe you need to show all your configurations.

* Re: How to send email?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-05-18  7:47 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-18  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 18 2006, Jijun MA wrote:

> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
[...]
> Sending via mail...
> message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 1

It looks like the value of `message-send-mail-function' is
`message-send-mail-with-sendmail'.  Please check the value in a
message buffer using `<f1> v message-send-mail-function RET'.  Maybe
there's an error in your init file that prevents the evaluation of the
setq statement.

BTW, the following header line in your posting is bogus:

See (info "(gnus)Face") or use `(Face (gnus-face-from-file "~/.face"))'
in `gnus-posting-styles'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to send email?
@ 2006-05-18  7:51   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-05-18  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>> (add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook 'mail-source-touch-pop)

[...]

> What is the file in which you've put the above two lines?

If you have both ~/.gnus.el and ~/.gnus, the latter is ignored.