From: Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de>
Subject: Re: Gnus doesn't load with Unicode chars in .gnus.el
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:00:33 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 12 2004, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
[...]
>> Sorry, I don't understand what you did and what you see.
> I mean that I can clearly the arrows in my lisp-part; opening the summary I
> don't see any arrow, but small squares. I copied a part from the summary
> to my article-buffer; there, as you can see too, the squares changed to the
> wanted arrows. So Emacs is able to display them right.

Ah, I see.  In the summary, the symbols are displayed as rectangles
(squares) when the line is bold or italics or some other face
different from the face in the other buffer.  Correct?  This means
that your default font for mule-unicode-* in Emacs is missing the bold
and/or italic glyphs.  (Same problem Ted mentioned in

Then you'll have two possibilities:

1) Install a font has has the glyphs, e.g. the efont-unicode package
   on SuSE.  On MGO the packages for Debian and Gentoo are mentioned,
   IIRC.

   See the thread around [1] (in the German Gnus newsgroup) for
   all the details.

2) Using %1{%B%} and `gnus-summary-line-format' to specify a non-bold
   display of the tree indicators in the summary, see the function
   `rs-gnus-summary-line-initialize' in my `rs-gnus-summary.el'.

  (copy-face 'default 'rs-gnus-face-1)
  (setq gnus-face-1 'rs-gnus-face-1)
  ;; Set line format:
  (setq gnus-summary-line-format

  I'm not sure if this is the recommended way to do this.  I don't
  really understand Emacs' font business.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] <news:dcsg.m3isqr7ppc.fsf@beldin.mt743742.dialup.rwth-aachen.de>

    <URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?rnum=1&
    threadm=dcsg.m3isqr7ppc.fsf%40beldin.mt743742.dialup.rwth-aachen.de>
--
       ,,,
      (o o)