* LDAP support / configuration sharing ?
@ 2002-06-10 18:19 Chris Majewski
       [not found] ` <vafsn3t503j.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Chris Majewski @ 2002-06-10 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is configuration sharing via LDAP or some other mechanism available or
in the works? I'm still looking for a proper way to share my Gnus
configuration  (article count, etc.  etc.) between  work and  home. My
current solution  (push/pull .newsrc  et al. after/before  running Gnus)
does not work because it requires me to always remember to shutdown
Gnus when leaving work or home. If it is not available, can one of the
developers help me get started writing a patch?

-chris

* Re: LDAP support / configuration sharing ?
       [not found] ` <vafsn3t503j.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-06-11 17:16   ` Peter Boettcher
From: Peter Boettcher @ 2002-06-11 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Chris Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> writes:
>
>> Is configuration sharing via LDAP or some other mechanism available
>> or in the works?
>
> That sounds way cool.  For some backends, the marks are stored in the
> server, but this is not the case for NNTP.
>
> How about you start discussing your ideas on the Gnus mailing list,
> I'm sure someone will contribute.

This is exactly what the ACAP protocol is intended for.  I don't know
any details, but that's a starting point.  I'm not sure if it ever
matured or is in use, but here it is:

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/acap/

--
Peter Boettcher
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

* Re: LDAP support / configuration sharing ?
@ 2002-06-11 19:11     ` Chris Majewski
       [not found]       ` <ilubsaheh4b.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
From: Chris Majewski @ 2002-06-11 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 941 bytes --]

Peter Boettcher <boettcher@ll.mit.edu> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > Chris Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> writes:
> >
> >> Is configuration sharing via LDAP or some other mechanism available
> >> or in the works?
> >
> > That sounds way cool.  For some backends, the marks are stored in the
> > server, but this is not the case for NNTP.
> >
> > How about you start discussing your ideas on the Gnus mailing list,
> > I'm sure someone will contribute.
>
> This is exactly what the ACAP protocol is intended for.  I don't know
> any details, but that's a starting point.  I'm not sure if it ever
> matured or is in use, but here it is:
>
> http://asg.web.cmu.edu/acap/

Looks fine, though  I've never heard of acap, and a  lot of people are
using ldap now, so what's wrong with ldap?
If one of the gnus developers  knows acap and can help me implement it
for gnus, that's fine too.

       [not found]             ` <ymhu1o91lwn.fsf@okocim.cs.ubc.ca>
@ 2002-06-12  6:45               ` those who know me have no need of my name
From: those who know me have no need of my name @ 2002-06-12  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

in gnu.emacs.gnus i read:
>Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:

>> For HTTP?  I think the user would need to find a HTTP server where she
>> can write to, and then the application need to invent a protocol to
>> use the HTTP server for solving the synchronization and lock
>> mechanisms.  It shouldn't be very impossible, should it?  SyncML as a
>> protocol could work, altough it is somewhat bloated.
>
>OK, so the user would have to set up some back end on the nearest http
>server?

more likely you'd use the the http put to upload the data, no `back-end'
necessary.  the structure would be as mandated by gnus, perhaps just
storing and fetching the .newsrc.eld file, which shouldn't break gnus'
guts, whereas trying to do something real-time and interactive would have
to replace the gnus-newsrc-alist (et al) variables for functions that would
perform i/o -- way more work.

@ 2002-06-12 14:16               ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-12 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> OK, so the user would have to set up some back end on the nearest http
> server? Will  anybody use  this, other than  me? Will anybody  help me
> write it? I haven't done any gnus development.

Maybe the main part of this is to abstract the configuration keeping
away from the current implementation.  Then any particular storage
protocol is just a SMOP.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)