* delete cached unticked/undormant articles?
@ 2002-05-07 18:02 Seth Delackner
       [not found] ` <m3lmav8fj2.fsf@fermat.mts.jhu.edu>
From: Seth Delackner @ 2002-05-07 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In an old google post I found the following, which explains why I have
been unable to get rid of cached IMAP articles.  When you "expire" or
"delete" articles, this deletes the server copy of the article.  But
cached articles are never deleted unless you explicitly remove them
from the cache ala M-*.  While I can imagine some reason for this, how
do I both:

- cache all articles that are on the server
- cause B C-M-e (delete all expirable articles) to actually delete the
server AND cached copy of an article?

The default caching policy makes sense for ephemeral messages on NNTP
groups, but IMAP is persistant so it makes no sense to cache an
article that you have deleted on the server.

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen (larsi@ifi.uio.no) wrote on 1996/09/25: (bless google):
> Joe Marzot <gmarzot@baynetworks.com> writes:
> > I think my confusion is between the word persistent and un-expirable.
> >
> > apparently these are not synonymous.
>
> They are not only not synonymous, they are orthogonal.
>
> If you tap `*' on an article, you have made it persistent.  Nothing
> you ever do, except using the `M-*' command, will remove it from the
> cache where it's stored.
>
> If you mark an article with the "E" mark, (ie., made it expirable), it
> will be deleted by the mail backend when it reaches a certain age.
> The persistent copy of the message will not be touched.
>
> The two terms are not related.

* Re: delete cached unticked/undormant articles?
       [not found]   ` <84n0vb9slj.fsf@jtan.com>
@ 2002-05-08  8:57     ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]       ` <844rhiabru.fsf@jtan.com>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-08  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seth Delackner <seth@jtan.com> writes:

> I like having everything cached because doing a regex search on my
> entire mailbox takes a million years if the articles are not cached.

Does nnir.el help?  It allows you to use the IMAP SEARCH command.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

@ 2002-05-08 16:01         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-08 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seth Delackner <seth@jtan.com> writes:

> I type 'G G' from the group buffer, then I had no idea what to enter
> because the docs don't describe the imap query format.

Well.  It would be tedious to describe all query formats.  But if you
are willing to look in the IMAP RFC for the format and contribute
documentation, please do.  (Don't forget copyright assignments.)

Also, the IMAP SEARCH command is slow when applied to a lot of
groups, so you have to mark some groups with `#' before invoking `G
G'.  This is only true in this case.  nnir also supports other search
engines, where it is not necessary to mark groups.

kai
--
Silence is foo!