* Upgrading to Oort? (was: UTF-8 support in gnus)
       [not found]   ` <m3pu135y4q.fsf@ichimusai.org>
@ 2002-04-13 17:50     ` lawrence mitchell
       [not found]     ` <87wuvba3my.fsf@enberg.org>
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2002-04-13 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

ichi@ichimusai.org wrote:

[...]

> Is Oort gnus compatible with my configuration files specifically
> .gnus/.emacs?

Shouldn't be any reason that it isn't.

> Is the upgrade easy?

Relatively so, see <news:oul4riln6li.fsf@ID-97657.usr.dfncis.de> for
one explanation of how to.  It's best to install in a separate
directory, so that you don't overwrite your existing Gnus
installation.

> Are there ready rpm's for Red Hat 7.2 available?

Not sure, but probably not.

> Are there any other issues I should be aware of before I might
> attempt it?
> What is the main difference between Oort gnus and the "normal" gnus?

Oort is technically alpha software, i.e. it may, potentially be
unstable.  It may do nasty things to your mail.  In practice, I
haven't had any problems at all, but YMMV.

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: UTF-8 support in gnus
       [not found] ` <m3lmbrlpll.fsf@barnowl.demon.co.uk>
       [not found]   ` <m3pu135y4q.fsf@ichimusai.org>
@ 2002-04-13 19:23   ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <87g01zh8fs.fsf@bretagne.rail.eu.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-13 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <newspost@gmurray.org.uk> writes:

> If you upgrade to Oort gnus it will handle UTF-8.

Really?  What does Oort do with UTF-8?  I searched for "utf" in the
lisp/ChangeLog file and the only things I could find are things which
require that Emacs supports UTF-8.  (And some things about utf-7
which are not relevant here.)

> You might also have to upgrade to emacs 21 to get unicode support.

Emacs 21 supports some part of Unicode, Emacs 20 with Mule-UCS also
supports some part, and Emacs 20 with oc-unicode yet another part.

I think Mule-UCS can also be used with Emacs 21, but I don't know any
specifics.  Last I tried I had troubles in Gnus (double UTF-8
encoding).  But this was a long time ago, so things might be
different now.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: UTF-8 support in gnus
       [not found]   ` <87g01zh8fs.fsf@bretagne.rail.eu.org>
@ 2002-04-13 19:24     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-13 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> writes:

> Graham Murray <newspost@gmurray.org.uk> writes:
>
>> If you upgrade to Oort gnus it will handle UTF-8. You might also have
>> to upgrade to emacs 21 to get unicode support.
>
> And in Xemacs ?

I hear that recent XEmacsen support the Mule-UCS package which might
help.  Ben Wing is working on Unicode support in XEmacs, but I'm not
exactly sure of the status right now.  Maybe it is already in the main
CVS code; but I don't know if there is a released version with this.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: UTF-8 support in gnus
       [not found]       ` <m3hemf43ec.fsf@ichimusai.org>
@ 2002-04-14  3:13         ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-04-14  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org> writes:

> Henrik Enberg <henrik+news@enberg.org> writes:
>
>> It should be mostly compatible.  I don't know about rpm's, but it is
>> very easy to install by yourself.  You can keep it in your $HOME if
>> you like.  The best way to get it is probably via CVS from
>> <http://www.gnus.org>.
>
> Mostly compatible does not sound too optimistic :( I have about 150
> lines in my .gnus and I'd hate to have to spend weeks trying to figure
> out what's wrong again :(

I don't think anything will break (nothing serious at least).  Some
variables may have disappeared, and there will be a better way to do
some things.

> Okay, so I need a CVS client or something to check out a copy, then to
> build it myself and install it. Sounds tricky.

If you don't want to bother with CVS, you should be able to get a
nightly snapshot from <ftp://ftp.gnus.org/pub/gnus/snapshots/>

building is simply a matter of doing:

$ ./configure
$ make

and optionally:

$ make install

> If it lives together with the older GNUS how will the system know what
> elc files to use?

This depends on which version is first in the load-path.  Something like
this should put your new Gnus first.

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/my/gnus")

--
I acted to show my love for Jodie Foster.

* Re: UTF-8 support in gnus
@ 2002-04-14 12:39           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-14 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik+news@enberg.org> writes:

> This depends on which version is first in the load-path.  Something like
> this should put your new Gnus first.
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/my/gnus")

Please note two possible pitfalls:

* This statement should be in ~/.emacs and NOT in ~/.gnus.  When
  ~/.gnus is being read, it's too late -- the old version has already
  loaded.

* The directory you put there should contain the files gnus.el,
  gnus.elc and so on.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: cc-decode-utf8 (was: UTF-8 support in gnus)
       [not found]     ` <v93cxwabih.fsf_-_@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2002-04-16  6:49       ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2002-04-16  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Reiner,

    > I suppose the author is reading this group, so maybe he can help

I also hope that ;-) Mhmmm, i have no Emacs 20.7 available any more at
home... Maybe in the company, i will see.

Could you try to verify that the function cc-decode-utf8 is called in
your Emacs?

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://www.gnusoftware.com/WebRing/> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,

* Re: UTF-8 support in gnus
       [not found] <m37knbg4k2.fsf@ichimusai.org>
@ 2002-04-13 13:25 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <m3lmbrlpll.fsf@barnowl.demon.co.uk>
       [not found] ` <v9u1qdji2l.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-13 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org> writes:

> Posting in Unicode UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-32 and other Unicode format is
> starting to show up in several groups. My gnus is set to use ISO8859-1
> as default, but I was wondering if I could get it automatically to
> recognize UTF-8 and decode it properly?

You use Emacs 20.  This means that the Mule-UCS package can help you
with UTF-8 and probably also the other variants.

Maybe you also want to consider the oc-unicode package.  It is based
on Mule-UCS but does more.  I'm not sure which one is better.

kai
--
Silence is foo!