* Re: emergency - cannot use gnus ;-(
       [not found] ` <a96gdq1hn6@enews4.newsguy.com>
@ 2002-04-12 13:25   ` A. Lucien Meyers
       [not found]     ` <a98hm602cpg@enews2.newsguy.com>
From: A. Lucien Meyers @ 2002-04-12 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

* those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net>:
>  <slrnabdbmk.2vp.nospam.look@localhost.consult-meyers.com> divulged:
>
>  >At start gnus tells me:
>  >
>  >nntp (news.isp.ch) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)
>
>  your news server (news.isp.ch) isn't accepting connections.  try again
>  later.

Very much wish this were true but it isn't. Immediately after
this error messege from gnus I can exit emacs and use slrn to
access the same news server.  Immediately after exiting slrn can
load emacs and try to access the same mail server using gnus and
get the same error message displayed above.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
http://www.consult-meyers.com recommends email encryption using GnuPG.

* Re: emergency - cannot use gnus ;-(
       [not found]                   ` <slrnabl449.97g.nospam.look@localhost.consult-meyers.com>
@ 2002-04-15 13:12                     ` Urban Engberg
       [not found]                       ` <a9f1js220au@enews1.newsguy.com>
       [not found]                       ` <n7662si0yw.fsf@nnelinux.ccieurope.com>
From: Urban Engberg @ 2002-04-15 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lucien,

> *** Eval error *** Symbol's function definition is void: open-network-stream

I had exactly the same problem the other day in a recent CVS version
of Emacs 21.

I don't know exactly why this happens, but it seems that the
standard lisp file elisp.el hasn't been loaded.  Open-network-stream
has been redefined and has moved to simple.el recently, if I'm not
mistaken.

I am confident that loading simple.el manually should solve the
problem for you.

Assuming that my problem was due to some installation issue, I
made a "make clean" and reinstalled the CVS version from scratch.
This indeed solved the problem permanently.

  Urban

--
ue@ccieurope.com

@ 2002-04-16  6:44                         ` Urban Engberg
From: Urban Engberg @ 2002-04-16  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net> writes:

> <n7r8lhhzrx.fsf@nnelinux.ccieurope.com> divulged:
>
>>Open-network-stream has been redefined and has moved to simple.el
>>recently, if I'm not mistaken.
>
> it's in tcp.el.

> From the NEWS file of Emacs CVS version:

   *** Original open-network-stream is now emulated using make-network-process.

the definition being in simple.el.  There's still a version in tcp.el,
but this doesn't seem to be used anymore.

--
ue@ccieurope.com

* Re: emergency - cannot use gnus ;-(
@ 2002-04-16 18:29                           ` A. Lucien Meyers
From: A. Lucien Meyers @ 2002-04-16 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Urban Engberg <ue@ccieurope.com>:
>  those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address@usa.net> writes:
>
> > <n7r8lhhzrx.fsf@nnelinux.ccieurope.com> divulged:
>  >
> >>Open-network-stream has been redefined and has moved to simple.el
> >>recently, if I'm not mistaken.
>  >
> > it's in tcp.el.
>
>  From the NEWS file of Emacs CVS version:
>
>     *** Original open-network-stream is now emulated using make-network-process.
>
>  the definition being in simple.el.  There's still a version in tcp.el,
>  but this doesn't seem to be used anymore.

OK, so I tried to do

M-x ielm RET

and get an ELISP> prompt

Doing

(make-network-process "nntp" (get-buffer-create "nntp") "news.myisp.ch"
119)

I get an error message:

Eval error  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

What next?

Lucien
--

@ 2002-04-17  3:08                             ` Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2002-04-17  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Doing
>
> (make-network-process "nntp" (get-buffer-create "nntp") "news.myisp.ch"
> 119)
>
> I get an error message:
>
> Eval error  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> What next?

I once had a similar problem which turned out to be caused by corruption of
one of the temporary files that gnus makes.  I think the fix for me was to
delete files in news/cache.  Sorry I don't remember the details, and I never
understood exactly what was going wrong.

* Re: emergency - cannot use gnus ;-(
       [not found]                         ` <87n0w0x1c3.fsf@nomad.consult-meyers.com>
@ 2002-04-18 20:34                           ` Paul Jarc
       [not found]                             ` <87pu0vbpsf.fsf@landhaus.consult-meyers.com>
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-04-18 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
> However, gnus no longer grabs the mail from maildir to sort it and put
> it into the nnmaildir folders.

You could try doing the sorting outside Gnus, in procmail or whatever,
and delivering directly to the maildir groups.  If you had the time,
that is.

> Have dug into Lars' great Gnus manual and reread the whole mail backend
> sections. He seems to basically recommend nnfolder for a situation like
> mine and, if he doesn't know what he's taling about, who does?

Well, I don't think Lars knows nnmaildir, and that part of the manual
was written before nnmaildir existed.  But nnmaildir is generally
Different, so there is indeed a decent chance that you'll have better
luck with an nnmail-derived backend.

> Sorry for rambling on but my conclusion is to convert the maildirs into
> mboxes and maybe wait for nnmaildir when it becomes "officially" part
> of gnus.

It already is.  There just hasn't been a release since it was added.

paul

* Re: emergency - cannot use gnus ;-(
       [not found]                                 ` <841ydbl9wq.fsf@mindspring.com>
@ 2002-04-20 16:20                                   ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-04-20 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

ehirgelt@mindspring.com (Edward S. Hirgelt) writes:

> Is there an easy way to convert from nnmh to nnml?  I'm using Oort.

I used the M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases for this. Worked like a
charm :-)

Nicolas.

* Re: emergency - cannot use gnus ;-(
       [not found]                                 ` <877kn33058.fsf@nomad.consult-meyers.com>
@ 2002-04-22 10:33                                   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-22 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:

> Kai, if you are in an nnfolder and do B m , you get a message saying
> that this backend does not allow moving a single mail to another
> group.

I think maybe you are using nndoc (those groups are created with `G
f').  nndoc groups are read-only.

kai
--
Silence is foo!