* address book ?
@ 2002-05-17 21:33 Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2002-05-17 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm searching for a package to use as an address book with gnus. I'm
only aware of bbdb but can't make it work on my debian system.
(bbdb-create doesn't even exist after bbdb is loaded)

So can someone either suggest another package to do that, or help me
make it work in debian ?

Thanks,
--
Rémi Letot

* Re: address book ?
@ 2002-05-17 22:01 ` Adrian Aichner
       [not found]   ` <m3661m9z9y.fsf@latakia.dyndns.org>
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2002-05-17 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

    remi> Hi all,
    remi> I'm searching for a package to use as an address book with gnus. I'm
    remi> only aware of bbdb but can't make it work on my debian system.
    remi> (bbdb-create doesn't even exist after bbdb is loaded)

bbdb-create is in bbdb-com.el.

Do you have that file?

I have this in my site-start.el.  You try putting this into your .emacs:

(require 'mail-abbrevs)
(require 'bbdb)
(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message 'sendmail 'w3)
(bbdb-insinuate-sc)
(bbdb-define-all-aliases)

Hope this helps,

Adrian

    remi> So can someone either suggest another package to do that, or help me
    remi> make it work in debian ?

    remi> Thanks,
    remi> --
    remi> R~mi Letot

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:adrian@xemacs.org

* Re: address book ?
       [not found]     ` <m3k7q2uo39.fsf@box.home.de>
@ 2002-05-18 13:22       ` Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
From: Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net> @ 2002-05-18 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jochen Küpper" <jochen@jochen-kuepper.de> writes:

> Make sure all entries with an mail-alias have a network address...

Yeah, but some people whom I keep track of don't.  It seems awfully
losing to get a beep and a nasty error message because of that.  There
oughta be an option...

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
Cristo Resucita!  En Verdad Resucita!

* Re: address book ?
@ 2002-05-18 14:31         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

ruhl@4dv.net (Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>) writes:

> "Jochen Küpper" <jochen@jochen-kuepper.de> writes:
>>
>> Make sure all entries with an mail-alias have a network address...
>
> Yeah, but some people whom I keep track of don't.  It seems awfully
> losing to get a beep and a nasty error message because of that.  There
> oughta be an option...

Why do they have a mail-alias field, then?  Mail-alias fields are
intended for sending email, and it doesn't make sense to use that for
records which don't have email addresses.

kai
--
Silence is foo!