* Re: broken server [SERVER][DEAF]
       [not found] <87k7rggn80.fsf@ketanu.dyndns.org>
@ 2002-04-11 17:37 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-11 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ketanu <ketanu@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Deaf : the conenction is still alive (as shown with a banal traffic
> sniffer) so i believe the server did not close it, but it do not
> respond anymore to any request, so i say it is deaf. This is rather
> nasty since trying to refetch or post after 120s of inactivity (wuw,
> i will become flash typo if i can write all my articles in less than
> 120s), and since the conenction is not technically down, the
> nntp-connection-timeout parameter is useless (or do not work on my
> computer)

I think it would be best to do the following: Before sending a
command to the server, Gnus looks how long ago was the last command
sent.  If this was more than N seconds ago, send a no-op command to
the server and look for the response.  If the response does not come,
look again if the server is really alive.

This could be useful for IMAP, too, not only NNTP.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-04-11 17:37 UTC | newest]