* Re-sorting *lots* of old mail
@ 2002-08-26 20:54 Peter Davis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Davis @ 2002-08-26 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have one nnml group with about 30,000 messages in it.  I'd like to split
it by year into different groups (e.g., nnml:stuff1998, nnml:stuff1999,
etc.).  Is there some way to do that which:

1) I can start running and leave overnight or something?  Unless it's *very*
fast, it will take a long time to process all these messages.

2) Will keep the the .overview file(s) correct in all groups?

Thanks,

-pd

* Re: Re-sorting *lots* of old mail
@ 2002-08-27 10:00 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <akgg4a$i10$1@news.bitstream.com>
       [not found] ` <m2znv7i98g.fsf@boiko_linux.demogr.mpg.de>
       [not found] ` <3csvtdky.fsf@online.no>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-08-27 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter Davis" <pdavis@pageflexinc.com> writes:

> I have one nnml group with about 30,000 messages in it.  I'd like to split
> it by year into different groups (e.g., nnml:stuff1998, nnml:stuff1999,
> etc.).  Is there some way to do that which:
>
> 1) I can start running and leave overnight or something?  Unless it's *very*
> fast, it will take a long time to process all these messages.
>
> 2) Will keep the the .overview file(s) correct in all groups?

If you can set up split rules that work, then it should work to just
`B r' all them messages.

kai

* Re: Re-sorting *lots* of old mail
       [not found]     ` <wc34rdg6ppe.fsf@iota.cis.ohio-state.edu>
@ 2002-08-28  1:27       ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2002-08-28  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Rutt <rutt+news@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> "Peter Davis" <pdavis@pageflexinc.com> writes:
>
> > "Kai Großjohann" <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> wrote in message

> > split

> > *very*

> >> If you can set up split rules that work, then it should work to just
> >> `B r' all them messages.
> >
> > Is there a way to 'B r' them from the *Group* buffer?  I can't open the
> > actual group and all the messages, as it would take hours, and probably
> > exhaust memory, to build a summary.
>
> Then why not just enter with C-u 100?  And then process 100 respools
> at a time.  You could write a keyboard macro which presses something
> like 'C-u 100 M P a B r RET' and then presses 'q' to go back to the
> group buffer.  Then, execute the keyboard macro 300 times, to arrive
> at 30,000.  It will probably still take hours, but at least it
> probably won't exhaust memory.

Not only will it take hours, but it will take hours of human
involvement, as opposed to something I can just start running and
leave it overnight.

No better solutions around?

Thanks,

-pd

--
--------
                             Peter Davis

* Re: Re-sorting *lots* of old mail
@ 2002-08-28  1:45         ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2002-08-28  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:

>> Then why not just enter with C-u 100?  And then process 100 respools
>> at a time.  You could write a keyboard macro which presses something
>> like 'C-u 100 M P a B r RET' and then presses 'q' to go back to the
>> group buffer.  Then, execute the keyboard macro 300 times, to arrive
>> at 30,000.  It will probably still take hours, but at least it
>> probably won't exhaust memory.
>
> Not only will it take hours, but it will take hours of human
> involvement, as opposed to something I can just start running and
> leave it overnight.
>
> No better solutions around?

How exactly does 'C-u 300 C-x e' require human involvement?
--
Benjamin

* Re: Re-sorting *lots* of old mail
       [not found]   ` <akikj7$j60$1@news.bitstream.com>
@ 2002-08-28 14:35     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-08-28 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Peter Davis" <pdavis@pageflexinc.com> writes:

> That's an interesting idea ... I had thought I'd have to keep the .overview
> file (>6Mb) correct, but actually, I could move the entire group, sort into
> directories, and re-import into gnus as a maildir source.  Hmmm.  Sounds
> like a good approach.

You can also do `g' on the server in the *Server* buffer (via `^'
from the group buffer) to generate all them .overview files.

kai

@ 2002-08-31 16:18   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-08-31 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

pjacklam@online.no (Peter J. Acklam) writes:

> It works just fine except that if the message has no "Date" field,
> then the mail will end up in "mail.bogus".

How about using the current time if the message has no Date field?
Or just return another group name in that case.

kai