* RTF attachment problem
@ 2002-08-05  1:01 Mahesh Padmanabhan
       [not found] ` <iluvg6pppz8.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
       [not found] ` <vafy9blfrca.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Mahesh Padmanabhan @ 2002-08-05  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was trying to send an RTF (which is the ASCII equivalent of the
Microsoft DOC format ) as an attachment to an email but the receiver
got it as a corrupted file. When I sent it, it asked me if the MIME
type should be application/msword and I said yes to that.

I then converted the RTF file to a DOC file and sent it in an
identical manner and this time the receiver got it correctly.

My questions are:

1) What does GNUS do if you give the wrong mime type,
   i.e. application/msword for an RTF file ?

2) Why does it do it since I thought MIME type made no difference if
   you saved the document at the receiving end and opened it ?

TIA,

--
Mahesh Padmanabhan

-------

Replace nospam with prana to email me.

* Re: RTF attachment problem
       [not found] ` <iluvg6pppz8.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
@ 2002-08-05 15:30   ` Mahesh Padmanabhan
From: Mahesh Padmanabhan @ 2002-08-05 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mahesh Padmanabhan <news@nospam.eml.cc> writes:
>
> > I was trying to send an RTF (which is the ASCII equivalent of the
> > Microsoft DOC format ) as an attachment to an email but the receiver
> > got it as a corrupted file. When I sent it, it asked me if the MIME
> > type should be application/msword and I said yes to that.
> >
> > I then converted the RTF file to a DOC file and sent it in an
> > identical manner and this time the receiver got it correctly.
> >
> > My questions are:
> >
> > 1) What does GNUS do if you give the wrong mime type,
> >    i.e. application/msword for an RTF file ?
>
> Just mark the CT incorrectly.  The receiver probably couldn't handle
> this.

You mean, I should deliberately mark it incorrectly so that the
receiving program cannot identify the content type and asks the user
to save it ? How do I do it in GNUS ?

> > 2) Why does it do it since I thought MIME type made no difference if
> >    you saved the document at the receiving end and opened it ?
>
> It shouldn't make any difference.  Can you do a diff between the two
> messages to see what differed?

The text of the message was the same. What differed is the attachment
sent with the message. In one case it was an RTF attachment and in the
other - a DOC attachement.

Thanks,

--
Mahesh Padmanabhan

-------

       [not found]   ` <871y9dmipk.fsf@nospam.eml.cc>
@ 2002-08-05 16:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-08-05 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mahesh Padmanabhan <news@nospam.eml.cc> writes:

> Ah, I get it. QP is quoted-printable, correct ? How do you force GNUS
> 5.8.8 to use base64 every time ?

See the variable mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults.  I hope it
exists in 5.8.8.

kai