* Splitting into Maildir folder
@ 2002-06-03  8:48 Edvard Majakari
       [not found] ` <vafn0uc90hz.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Edvard Majakari @ 2002-06-03  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings!

Recently I ran into SpamAssassin. Having used that for some time I quickly
became very fond of that piece of software. It seems to identify spam
quite easily, and so I created a procmail script that uses SpamAssassin
according to instructions given.

Now, with procmail, I'm able to use two alternative methods for splitting
mail. I can put all incoming spam into mbox file, or Maildir directory (of
course, /dev/null is possible, but SpamAssassin may sometimes have
positive false results. So I use mbox of Maildir.

Of course, I could just filter all mail via SpamAssassin and make Gnus
identify spam by headers that SpamAssassin inserts, but I don't want to
see first that hey, I've got ten new messages only to find that 9 out of
10 are spam.

The problem is, how do I create a group in Gnus that is actually in mbox
or Maildir format? I'm quite sure Gnus is able to do this, I only don't
know how :)

FWIW, I created two simple zsh functions to first identify new spam
domains and second script to insert those new domains to Postfix's
header_checks file (that is able to handle regexps) so that at least in
theory, I should never receive spam from the same domain twice. I can send
those scripts and/or domain blacklists gathered so far with SpamAssassin
if anybody's interested.

--
# Edvard

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one
to another -- John 13:35

* Re: Splitting into Maildir folder
       [not found]   ` <87vg8zjrf2.fsf@samuel.pampltd.com>
@ 2002-06-04 10:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-04 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edvard Majakari <edvard.majakari@pampltd.com> writes:

> I resorted to the first suggested method. What would be the
> advantages for using this last method? doesn't the first method copy
> the mail as well as munge some headers, whereas the last would
> simply read the dir directly, thus avoiding somewhat expensive disk
> copy?

nnmaildir has some nice features.  For example, it's easy to share a
maildir with your colleagues (in the sense that you read/write the
same directory).  You can specify which marks are per-user and which
marks will shared by users.  So for example you can make it so that
ticking a message is seen by everybody whereas marking it as dormant
is only seen by you.

nnmaildir also tries to be fast, I think.  Maybe it's faster even (for
some operations) than nnml?

kai
--
Silence is foo!