* How to create new groups with nnimap
@ 2002-04-21 19:47 Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2002-04-21 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't seem to create new groups using 'G m' in the *Group* buffer.
I tried to create one called "try" and then using the select method
"nnimap:jesse" (my nnimap backend).  A group appears, but when I try
to enter it I get a message:

Couldn't activate group nnimap+jesse:try: SELECT failed: Can't open
mailbox try: no such mailbox

Perhaps 'G m' does not really "create" a mailbox when it does not
exist.  In that case, how does on create an empty mailbox.  If I move
a set of messages to a non-existent group, then Gnus creates it on the
fly...

--
Nevin

* Re: How to create new groups with nnimap
@ 2002-04-21 20:29 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]   ` <m3znzwtzh9.fsf@bombay.dyndns.org>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-04-21 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:

> I can't seem to create new groups using 'G m' in the *Group* buffer.
> I tried to create one called "try" and then using the select method
> "nnimap:jesse" (my nnimap backend).  A group appears, but when I try
> to enter it I get a message:
>
> Couldn't activate group nnimap+jesse:try: SELECT failed: Can't open
> mailbox try: no such mailbox
>
> Perhaps 'G m' does not really "create" a mailbox when it does not
> exist.  In that case, how does on create an empty mailbox.  If I move
> a set of messages to a non-existent group, then Gnus creates it on the
> fly...

Set `imap-log' and look in the buffer to find out what's happening.
It works for me.

* Re: How to create new groups with nnimap
       [not found]     ` <ilug01n4pzw.fsf@extundo.com>
@ 2002-04-22 17:53       ` Nicolas Kowalski
       [not found]       ` <m3znzvwr0c.fsf@fermat.mts.jhu.edu>
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-04-22 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:
>
>> I want to create a mailbox (say try) in mbx format on a UW IMAP
>> server.  The way to do this is to create a group called
>> #driver.mbx/try.  One I fiddle around with gnus-invalid-group-regexp,
>> I can do this.  However the group shows up as nnimap:#driver.mbx/try
>> and then I can't access it.
>>
>> 456 CREATE "#driver.mbx/try"
>> 456 OK CREATE completed
>> 457 SELECT "#driver.mbx/try"
>> 457 NO SELECT failed: Can't open mailbox #driver.mbx/try: no such mailbox
>> 458 SELECT "#driver.mbx/try"
>> 458 NO SELECT failed: Can't open mailbox #driver.mbx/try: no such mailbox

The CREATE command is fine. However the SELECT command is wrong. It
should be SELECT "try", ie without the prefix. The #driver.mbx seems
to be used only at mailbox creation...But I am presulably wrong.

I just tried this by creating such a mailbox with Pine, and I can read
it from Gnus+nnimap.

Nicolas.

@ 2002-04-22 19:14     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-22 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:

> I want to create a mailbox (say try) in mbx format on a UW IMAP
> server.  The way to do this is to create a group called
> #driver.mbx/try.  One I fiddle around with gnus-invalid-group-regexp,
> I can do this.  However the group shows up as nnimap:#driver.mbx/try
> and then I can't access it.

Does it work, as a workaround, to `G m' the group with the strange
name, then kill it (with C-k), then subscribe to it (with `U') under
the correct name?

I agree with Simon that UW appears to have a misfeature there.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

@ 2002-04-22 20:22         ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-04-22 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:

> Here is the snippet from the FAQ [1].
>
>     * The simplest way to create a mbx-format mailbox is to prefer the
>       name with "#driver.mbx/" when creating a mailbox through
>       c-client. For example, if you create "#driver.mbx/foo", the

Perhaps you can use the .imaprc file, with a line like (untested).

set new-folder-format mbx

...so that Gnus does not have to handle such special cases ?

PS : you will have however to explictly allow user config in
/etc/c-client.conf (.cnf?)