* Re: recovery from disconnection without restarting gnus ?
       [not found] <878z83zii3.fsf@landhaus.consult-meyers.com>
@ 2002-04-04 17:19 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-04-04 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
> Hi! After 5 minutes of idle time the network disconnects from the ISP
> and reconnects on demand. Occasionally composing a message takes longer
> than 5 minutes and the network meanwhile disconnects. I have encountered
> the following behaviour from Gnus in such cases:
>
> 1. sending the message does not complete, although the network quickly
>    establishes a new connection; I have to interrupt the send attempt
>    with C-g .

You could add something like this to message-send-hook:
(defun alm:revive-network ()
  (shell-command-to-string "ping -c 4 www.gnus.org"))

This way, the network will (hopefully) already be back up by the time
Gnus tries to use it.

> 2. I must exit Gnus, which asks me to confirm not to kill the message
>    draft buffer with "no".

Why must you exit Gnus?

paul

* Re: recovery from disconnection without restarting gnus ?
@ 2002-04-04 18:14   ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-04-04 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> "A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi! After 5 minutes of idle time the network disconnects from the ISP
>> and reconnects on demand. Occasionally composing a message takes longer
>> than 5 minutes and the network meanwhile disconnects. I have encountered
>> the following behaviour from Gnus in such cases:
>>
>> 1. sending the message does not complete, although the network quickly
>>    establishes a new connection; I have to interrupt the send attempt
>>    with C-g .
>
> You could add something like this to message-send-hook:
> (defun alm:revive-network ()
>   (shell-command-to-string "ping -c 4 www.gnus.org"))

Follow you vaguely, Paul, but not with certitude. My understanding:
insert this code into the variable message-send-hook substituting my
ISP for www.gnus.org. Am I reading you?

> This way, the network will (hopefully) already be back up by the time
> Gnus tries to use it.
>
>> 2. I must exit Gnus, which asks me to confirm not to kill the message
>>    draft buffer with "no".
>
> Why must you exit Gnus?

AFAICS Gnus wants to be started during the current network connection
to the ISP. Otherwise Gnus will not complete message sending.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP Key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15

@ 2002-04-05 16:38 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-05 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:

> 2. I must exit Gnus, which asks me to confirm not to kill the message
>    draft buffer with "no".

Maybe it is enough to kill the server buffer?  It might have a short
name like " *nntpd*" (notice the leading space) or a longer one like
" *server foo *nntpd**" (note leading space).

You can't list these buffers with C-x C-b or the like, but C-x k
works.

kai
--
Silence is foo!