* Re: mail group ('G f') not expiring/shrinking
       [not found]       ` <vaf1y83wkh4.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
@ 2002-09-12  2:22         ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-12  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> /----
> | `directory'
> |      Get mail from several files in a directory.  This is typically used
> |      when you have procmail split the incoming mail into several files.
> |      That is, mail from the file `foo.bar.spool' will be put in the
> |      group `foo.bar'.  (You can change the suffix to be used instead of
> |      `.spool'.)  Setting `nnmail-scan-directory-mail-source-once' to
> |      non-nil forces Gnus to scan the mail source only once.  This is
> |      particularly useful if you want to scan mail groups at a specified
> \----
>
> If this is unclear, please suggest improvements.

well, i rerad this and many other entries several times, and i reread
it here in your citation, and if i hadn't experimented, it would still
not be clear to me (although you even suggested using :directory in
private email, but with no apparent reason).  why not tell people:
"using :directory will prohibit gnus from further splitting the
mail-source, but it will do so when using :file."  i want that to be
clearly stated, because at that time i had many old mbox-type folders
in the incoming directory, some of which where prefiltered by
procmail.  also, those files did not have any distinguishing marks
like some suffix.  this made me think i should rather use the :file
attribute to be more picky.

... until out of other leads to go on i fitted some unimportant folder
with .spool at the end, commented out the :file's and used the
:directory.  before that i had thought :file and :directory were just
different means to pick mail-sources.  when i read "That is, mail from
the file `foo.bar.spool' will be put in the group `foo.bar'", with the
sentence before that leading in with "typical", i don't see why using
:file is any different.

--
clemens

* Re: mail group ('G f') not expiring/shrinking
@ 2002-09-12 11:16           ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]             ` <ofb04ne8.fsf@ID-23066.news.dfncis.de>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-12 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> well, i rerad this and many other entries several times, and i reread
> it here in your citation, and if i hadn't experimented, it would still
> not be clear to me (although you even suggested using :directory in
> private email, but with no apparent reason).  why not tell people:
> "using :directory will prohibit gnus from further splitting the
> mail-source, but it will do so when using :file."  i want that to be
> clearly stated, because at that time i had many old mbox-type folders
> in the incoming directory, some of which where prefiltered by
> procmail.  also, those files did not have any distinguishing marks
> like some suffix.  this made me think i should rather use the :file
> attribute to be more picky.

Now there is another paragraph after the one you cited:

/----
| There is also the variable `nnmail-resplit-incoming', if you set
| that to a non-nil value, then the normal splitting process is
| applied to all the files from the directory, *Note Splitting
| Mail::.
\----

Does that make it clearer?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: mail group ('G f') not expiring/shrinking
       [not found]                 ` <m34rcqrl1u.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
@ 2002-09-16 19:47                   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> I think Clemens was using a "file" mail-source, and expected it to
> behave the same way as a "directory", because he set n-r-i to nil.

Ah.  I've now made this clear(er?) in the description of
nnmail-resplit-incoming in the info file.  I also deleted a "not" too
many...

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)