* Re: nnfolder as foreign groups..
       [not found] <877knd46h6.fsf@syn.codemonkey.net>
@ 2002-04-12 11:26 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-12 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

sh1ft9 <sh1ft9@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm in the process of converting my mailing lists over to Gnus/nnml.
> I have a lot of archive folders in nnfolder format and would like to
> keep saving messages from nnml groups into these nnfolders but I have
> not found an easy way to subscribe to these nnfolder groups.
>
> I've tried B m and entering the group name and nnfolder as the method,
> but then I can't enter the folder.  I also have..
> (setq nnfolder-directory ~/mail/").

It is difficult to use pre-existing files with Gnus, because backends
such as nnfolder want to have additional files, in particular the
"active" file.  Therefore you need to proceed with care.

Also, no two backends should use the same active file.

For example, you could do this:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnml ""
                (nnml-directory "/tmp/foo")
                (nnml-active-file "/tmp/foo.active")))
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnfolder ""
                (nnfolder-directory "/tmp/bar")
                (nnfolder-active-file "/tmp/bar.active")))

Then you put your nnfolder files in /tmp/bar and then you do "^" from
the *Group* buffer and hit "g" on the nnfolder server.  This should
create the active file (and stuff).

But it is better to use "G m" to create nnfolder groups and to then
use Gnus itself for copying messages into those nnfolder groups.  Do
"G f" on each mbox-format file, then "M P a" to process-mark all
messages, then "B c" to copy them to the nnfolder groups.

Also, be sure to type "nnfolder:" instead of "nnfolder" when "G m"
asks you for the select method or server name.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-04-12 11:26 UTC | newest]