* Re: fancy splitting and procmail
       [not found] ` <afuvmh$n6s$1@wsc10.lrz-muenchen.de>
@ 2002-07-03 16:58   ` Boris DAIX
       [not found]     ` <afvb1r$2bj$1@wsc10.lrz-muenchen.de>
From: Boris DAIX @ 2002-07-03 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Kubala  <kubalaa@eikon.tum.de> writes:

> Ooh, ohh, I wanna answer! I just had this explained to me, so I'll see if I
> can explain it on to you. Someone else can probably do it better, but maybe
> this will be enough for you to go on.

Thanks a lot :-)

> Boris DAIX <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> wrote:
>> (setq mail-sources '((directory :path "~/spool/")
>> 			(file :path "/var/spool/mail/bdaix")))
>
> Okay, so this means each file in ~/spool goes to a separate group without
> being split, while messages in your /var spool file go through the normal
> splitting. I.e. ~/spool/list.debian-foo.spool goes automatically to
> nnml+private:list.debian-foo.
>
>> But now, I'd like to split the whole stuff better, within gnus, I tried
>> adding.
>
> Okay, so you want to stop auto-splitting the procmail spools, and split them
> manually instead. To do that, you can try "nnmail-resplit-incoming" (though
> maybe this doesn't work in Oort?), or change "directory" to a bunch of "file"
> entries, one for each procmail spool. File entries are always split, directory
> entries aren't.
>
> Then, to manually achieve the same effect as auto-splitting, use the header
> "X-Gnus-Mail-Source" in your split:

What does this mean ? I was ok 'till there... ;-) I'll try it but if
someone knows what it means...

> (setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/krid")
>                      (file :path "/home/krid/Mail/IN.list")
>                      (file :path "/home/krid/Mail/IN.spam")))
>
> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>       '(|
> [..]
>         ("X-Gnus-Mail-Source" "IN.list"           "list.misc")
> [..]
>
> (courtesy of Dirk Bernhardt)
>
> -Adrian

Thanks a lot again !

Boris

@ 2002-07-03 20:18   ` Boris DAIX
From: Boris DAIX @ 2002-07-03 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrian Kubala  <kubalaa@eikon.tum.de> writes:

[...]
> Okay, so you want to stop auto-splitting the procmail spools, and split them
> manually instead. To do that, you can try "nnmail-resplit-incoming" (though
> maybe this doesn't work in Oort?), or change "directory" to a bunch of "file"
> entries, one for each procmail spool. File entries are always split, directory
> entries aren't.
>
> Then, to manually achieve the same effect as auto-splitting, use the header
> "X-Gnus-Mail-Source" in your split:
>
> (setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/krid")
>                      (file :path "/home/krid/Mail/IN.list")
>                      (file :path "/home/krid/Mail/IN.spam")))
>
> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>       '(|
> [..]
>         ("X-Gnus-Mail-Source" "IN.list"           "list.misc")
> [..]

I won't use the X-Gnus-Mail-Source header first. Anyway, it doesn't work...
Look at these lines of  my .gnus :

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "private")))
(setq mail-sources '((directory :path "~/spool/")
			(file :path "/var/spool/mail/bdaix")))

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
	'(|
	    (any "debian-\\b\\(\\w+\\)@lists.debian.org" "debian-\\1")
	    (any "ding@gnus.org" "gnus.list")
	    (any "jackit-devel@sourceforge.net" "JACK.list")
	    mail.misc
	 )
)
(setq nnmail-split-method 'nnmail-split-fancy)
(setq nnmail-resplit-incoming t)

I don't understand why this doesn't work... "any" means To, From, Cc ?
I don't even trust the rules anymore...

> (courtesy of Dirk Bernhardt)
>
> -Adrian

Regards,

Boris

* Re: fancy splitting and procmail
@ 2002-07-03 20:30     ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-03 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Boris DAIX <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> writes:

> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
> 	'(|
> 	    (any "debian-\\b\\(\\w+\\)@lists.debian.org" "debian-\\1")
> 	    (any "ding@gnus.org" "gnus.list")
> 	    (any "jackit-devel@sourceforge.net" "JACK.list")
> 	    mail.misc
> 	 )
> )
> (setq nnmail-split-method 'nnmail-split-fancy)
> (setq nnmail-resplit-incoming t)
>
> I don't understand why this doesn't work... "any" means To, From, Cc ?
> I don't even trust the rules anymore...

What doesn't work?  I've had problems in the past matching some text
with fancy split rules that were caused by gnus using
re-search-backward to scan the message.

For debian lists, I suggest matching on something like the
Resent-Sender header.  For example, here is the nnmail-split-fancy
entry I use for my debian lists:

	("Resent-Sender"
	 "debian-\\(\\w+\\)\\(-request\\)?@lists\\.debian\\.org"
	 "mail.lists.debian.\\1")

Hope that helps.

--
Josh Huber

* Re: fancy splitting and procmail
@ 2002-07-03 20:49     ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2002-07-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: fancy splitting and procmail
       [not found]       ` <87bs9olniq.fsf@Pulsar.resI.insa-lyon.fr>
@ 2002-07-04 14:57         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-04 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Boris DAIX <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> writes:

> Ok ! But I don't want to split according to the spool source file, or
> I have to split them once more because many lists comes in the same
> spool file...

If you have three spool files, put three `file' entries in
mail-sources.

kai