* Re: migrating my mboxes from evolution to gnus, advice?
       [not found] <873cwboj8s.fsf@sartre.shacknet.nu>
@ 2002-05-29  7:59 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-05-29  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Kennedy <gen2kungfoo@punkass.com> writes:

> My plan would be to "G f" for each Evolution mbox I have, then set a
> nnmail-split-methods appropriately to send incoming mail to these
> imported mboxes. Sound good?

Groups from G f are read-only.  So what you do is this:

G m nnml:list.foo RET   create a new group
Use G f to open the Evolution file
M P a                   mark all messages
B c nnml:list.foo RET   copy them to the new group

And then, you just operate on the nnml groups.  Of course, you can use
another backend instead of nnml.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

@ 2002-05-29  6:19 ` Adrian Aichner
From: Adrian Aichner @ 2002-05-29  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Matthew> Howdy I am migrating from Ximian Evolution to Gnus (I'm
    Matthew> gnew to gnus). I noticed Evolution kept my mail in
    Matthew> convenient mbox-format. Apart from my Inbox, I have about
    Matthew> 16 mboxes corresponding to mailing lists I'm subscribed
    Matthew> to.

    Matthew> I figure I could use the "G f" command to import each
    Matthew> mbox, but I'd like to merge the content of each of those
    Matthew> with new mailing list mail I receive and split *after*
    Matthew> the migration. Is "G f" the best way to go about this?

    Matthew> My plan would be to "G f" for each Evolution mbox I have,
    Matthew> then set a nnmail-split-methods appropriately to send
    Matthew> incoming mail to these imported mboxes. Sound good?

Hi Matthew,

Gnus also lets you respool old mail from the summary buffer according
to your nnmail-split-methods.

Make sure to debug the rules a bit first with
B t runs the command gnus-summary-respool-trace

Then you can use
B r runs the command gnus-summary-respool-article

See docs for these first with
C-h f (describe-function)

Hope this helps,

Adrian