* problem using starttls with imap
@ 2006-05-09  5:34 Pranav K. Tiwari
From: Pranav K. Tiwari @ 2006-05-09  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to move to starttls because our IT now mandates use of SSL
to connect to IMAP.

I'm using 'No Gnus v0.6' on Windows. I have the following config:

;; TLS
(load "starttls")
(setq starttls-use-gnutls t
      nnimap-stream 'starttls
      nnimap-server-port 993)

When I try to connect, I see the following in the message buffer:

imap: Connecting to <server>...
Opening STARTTLS connection to `<server>'...
imap: Connecting to <server>...failed

And, then - nothing.

I sniffed the packets, and it appears that the client completes a 3-way
handshake with the server, but doesn't send anything after that. Any
ideas?

regards,
-p

--
Pranav Tiwari.

* Re: problem using starttls with imap
@ 2006-05-09 11:34 ` gdt
From: gdt @ 2006-05-09 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does your server use STARTTLS (the command) and TLS, or SSL?  The key
difference is that TLS is often negotiated from a regular connection
via STARTTLS, and SSL is usually used on a different port (993) from
the beginning.  Try using 'ssl for nnimap-stream.

--
	Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com>

* Re: problem using starttls with imap
@ 2006-05-10  5:06   ` Pranav K. Tiwari
From: Pranav K. Tiwari @ 2006-05-10  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

gdt@work.lexort.com writes:

> Does your server use STARTTLS (the command) and TLS, or SSL?  The key
> difference is that TLS is often negotiated from a regular connection
> via STARTTLS, and SSL is usually used on a different port (993) from
> the beginning.  Try using 'ssl for nnimap-stream.

Greg,

Yes, my server supports SSL, however, I don't have Windows client for
SSL. I was (wrongly) assuming that SSL support would imply TLS support
at the server's end.

Do you know if there are any free distributions of ssl client I can use
with ssl stream?

-p

* Re: problem using starttls with imap
@ 2006-05-10 11:50     ` gdt
From: gdt @ 2006-05-10 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

jpranav@cisco.com (Pranav K. Tiwari) writes:

> Yes, my server supports SSL, however, I don't have Windows client for
> SSL. I was (wrongly) assuming that SSL support would imply TLS support
> at the server's end.

It might well support TLS via STARTTLS, but try the regular imap port.

> Do you know if there are any free distributions of ssl client I can use
> with ssl stream?

I don't know - I don't use windows at all.  But this is probably a
FAQ.

--

@ 2006-05-10 20:04     ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2006-05-10 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

* jpranav@cisco.com (Pranav K. Tiwari) wrote:

> Do you know if there are any free distributions of ssl client I can use
> with ssl stream?

<URL:http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html>

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Ich möchte die Pommes und die Cola behalten, aber ich möchte diesen Hamburger
wieder zurückschicken. Und wenn Ihr wieder Mayonnaise drauf tut, dann komm ich

* Re: problem using starttls with imap
@ 2006-05-11 10:48       ` Pranav K. Tiwari
From: Pranav K. Tiwari @ 2006-05-11 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

gdt@work.lexort.com writes:

> jpranav@cisco.com (Pranav K. Tiwari) writes:
>
>> Yes, my server supports SSL, however, I don't have Windows client for
>> SSL. I was (wrongly) assuming that SSL support would imply TLS support
>> at the server's end.
>
> It might well support TLS via STARTTLS, but try the regular imap port.

imap port doesn't work either, so probably starttls is not
supported.

>> Do you know if there are any free distributions of ssl client I can use
>> with ssl stream?
>
> I don't know - I don't use windows at all.  But this is probably a
> FAQ.

Marcus pointed me to
<URL:http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html> and I found a
working ssl client.

Now, I'm able to move one step further: the stream comes up. However,
emacs seems to hang at that point. I followed the code, and it appears
to be looping inside imap-open-ssl at the following lines (marked
with -->):

	  (with-current-buffer buffer
	    (goto-char (point-min))
-->	    (while (and (memq (process-status process) '(open run))
-->			(set-buffer buffer) ;; XXX "blue moon" nntp.el bug
-->			(goto-char (point-max))
-->			(forward-line -1)
-->			(not (imap-parse-greeting)))
-->			(not (imap-parse-greeting)))
-->	      (accept-process-output process 1)
-->	      (sit-for 1))

I'm not sure what it is waiting on. In the *imap* <server> bufer, I see:

* OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 IMAP4rev1 server version 6.5.7638.1 (<server>) ready.

But, nothing after that. So, it appears that the stream was opened, but
gnus is expecting something it doesn't get.

Any ideas?
-p