* Re: Adding comment to article
       [not found]   ` <847k8vco2e.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-05-15 17:39     ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-05-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

* kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> It does not work for nnimap groups, because IMAP does not support
> article editing, and Gnus provides no workaround for this.

I already know for myself that this does not work for IMAP but I have
often asked myself what could have been the reason that this feature
hasn't been implemented, yet. Do you know? Is it impossible or had the
designers of the IMAP protocol just been too lazy? I love using IMAP and
reading mails from several machines and it really drives me crazy that I
can't delete attachments from IMAP mails for example.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Post mortem, stirred tarantulas trill HHHHH through lung-books
lined with gauze. Their cerci writhe outside the frame

* Re: Adding comment to article
@ 2003-05-17 12:16       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-17 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@fuckmicrosoft.com> writes:

> * kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>
>> It does not work for nnimap groups, because IMAP does not support
>> article editing, and Gnus provides no workaround for this.
>
> I already know for myself that this does not work for IMAP but I have
> often asked myself what could have been the reason that this feature
> hasn't been implemented, yet. Do you know? Is it impossible or had the
> designers of the IMAP protocol just been too lazy? I love using IMAP and
> reading mails from several machines and it really drives me crazy that I
> can't delete attachments from IMAP mails for example.

Are you asking why the IMAP protocol does not include article
editing, or why does Gnus provide no workaround?

Maybe the IMAP protocol does not provide the editing because that
ensures that people who have seen message X never need to look at it
again.  If you allow article editing, they might have to look at the
message from time to time to see if it has been edited.  But this is
just a guess.  I'm sure you will get good answers in comp.mail.imap.
(Does that group exist?)  I'd be interested in the answers if you
decide to ask there.

Regarding the missing workaround, maybe nobody who needs it can
implement it and nobody who can implement it feels the urge to
scratch an itch.
--
This line is not blank.