* Re: gnus not showing all articles in a group
       [not found]   ` <2qptjhmzhl.fsf@crpppc215.epfl.ch>
@ 2003-08-07 12:30     ` Kathryn Huxtable
       [not found]       ` <85he4t8pxb.fsf.hcanon@alussinan.org>
From: Kathryn Huxtable @ 2003-08-07 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

marcuirl <marcuirl@imap.no2this.cc> writes:
> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>
>> marcuirl <marcuirl@imap.no2this.cc> writes:
>>
>>> When I opened the group, nothing there. If I use and other mailer
>>> the two messages are definitely there.
>>
>> Do they show up if you enter the group with C-u RET ?
>
> No only / o makes them visible
>>
>>> The message count seems to be wrong in gnus. It thinks that I have
>>> 385 messages in this group and even if I delete messages it remains
>>> the same, while the other mailer sez I have only 284 in there.
>>
>> See FAQ Question 4.12, (info "(gnus)[4.12]")
>
> This node does not exist for me!

Here it is. -K

Question 4.12:

   The number of total messages in a group which Gnus  displays in
group buffer is by far to high, especially in  mail groups. Is this a
bug?

   Answer:

   No, that's a matter of design of Gnus, fixing this would  mean
reimplementation of major parts of Gnus'  back ends. Gnus thinks
"highest-article-number -  lowest-article-number =
total-number-of-articles". This  works OK for Usenet groups, but if you
delete and move  many messages in mail groups, this fails. To cure the
symptom, enter the group via `C-u RET'  (this makes Gnus get all
messages), then  hit `M P b' to mark all messages and  then say `B m
name.of.group' to move  all messages to the group they have been in
before, they  get new message numbers in this process and the count is
right again (until you delete and move your mail to other  groups
again).

@ 2003-08-07 13:01     ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-08-07 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Look at http://my.gnus.org/FAQ

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: gnus not showing all articles in a group
       [not found] ` <2wwudpn06p.fsf@crpppc215.epfl.ch>
@ 2003-08-07 13:19   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-08-07 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

marcuirl <marcuirl@imap.no2this.cc> writes:

> I am making progress myself, I have found the articles. Inside the
> group I do a `/ o' to view old articles and low and behold they
> appear. But the first column is set to a `Y' for these articles.

Yes, this is the "killed due to low score" mark. By default Gnus won't
show articles with scores below a certain value.

Do you understand how scoring works? See (info "(gnus)Scoring")

Did this help?

Oh, and you could press `V t' on an article to see which score rules
apply.

--
Join us on #gnus @ irc.freenode.net.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/InternetRelayChat

@ 2003-08-07 15:33         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-08-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 07 2003, Hubert Canon wrote:

> Kathryn Huxtable <kathryn@kathrynhuxtable.org> schrieb :
[...]
>> say `B m name.of.group' to move all messages to the group they have
[...]
> If I do that, all the messages are marked as read. Is it normal ?

If they have been (marked as) read before, yes.  Moving articles
doesn't change read/unread status.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

@ 2003-08-08 11:17       ` Marcus Frings
       [not found]         ` <85wudoxocc.fsf.hcanon@alussinan.org>
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-08-08 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kathryn Huxtable <kathryn@kathrynhuxtable.org> wrote:

>    No, that's a matter of design of Gnus, fixing this would  mean
> reimplementation of major parts of Gnus'  back ends. Gnus thinks
> "highest-article-number -  lowest-article-number =
> total-number-of-articles". This  works OK for Usenet groups, but if you
> delete and move  many messages in mail groups, this fails. To cure the
> symptom, enter the group via `C-u RET'  (this makes Gnus get all
> messages), then  hit `M P b' to mark all messages and  then say `B m
> name.of.group' to move  all messages to the group they have been in
> before, they  get new message numbers in this process and the count is
> right again (until you delete and move your mail to other  groups
> again).

If I do this as you suggest my article sorting in these groups don't
work anymore. I use `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number' in my
gnus_groupparameters.el and afterwards the oldest mails are at the top
and the newest at the bottom. Obviously the article numbers seem to
change. So I tried `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date' (which is said
to be slower than -number) instead but this has an effect on only one
certain group somehow whereas other groups don't seem to be affected.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Ich weiß einfach alles über sie... Wir könnten sie alle umbringen. Na,
was denkst du?" - "Ach, weißt du, warum nicht..."

* Re: gnus not showing all articles in a group
@ 2003-08-08 12:16         ` Marcus Frings
       [not found]         ` <85wudoxocc.fsf.hcanon@alussinan.org>
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-08-08 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> wrote:
> * Kathryn Huxtable <kathryn@kathrynhuxtable.org> wrote:

>>    No, that's a matter of design of Gnus, fixing this would  mean
>> reimplementation of major parts of Gnus'  back ends. Gnus thinks
>> "highest-article-number -  lowest-article-number =
>> total-number-of-articles". This  works OK for Usenet groups, but if you
>> delete and move  many messages in mail groups, this fails. To cure the
>> symptom, enter the group via `C-u RET'  (this makes Gnus get all
>> messages), then  hit `M P b' to mark all messages and  then say `B m
>> name.of.group' to move  all messages to the group they have been in
>> before, they  get new message numbers in this process and the count is
>> right again (until you delete and move your mail to other  groups
>> again).

> If I do this as you suggest my article sorting in these groups don't
> work anymore. I use `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number' in my
> gnus_groupparameters.el and afterwards the oldest mails are at the top
> and the newest at the bottom. Obviously the article numbers seem to
> change. So I tried `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date' (which is said
> to be slower than -number) instead but this has an effect on only one
> certain group somehow whereas other groups don't seem to be affected.

Ups, I forgot to mention that I also played with
gnus-article-sort-functions (changing `gnus-article-sort-by-number' to
`gnus-article-sort-by-date') but the older articles are still at the
top.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Paranoia - das heißt doch nur, die Wirklichkeit
realistischer zu sehen als andere."

@ 2003-08-08 19:19           ` Marcus Frings
       [not found]             ` <v9vft83p2y.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-08-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hubert Canon <hcanon@alussinan.org> wrote:

> Don't use `M P b'  but `M P a' (it is what I use, and looked at the
> description when I swa this `M P b'  that I didn't know before).

Hm, what actually is the difference between `M P b' and `M P
a'. "Select buffer" and "select all" sounds pretty the same to me (and
it does the same when I hit those keys).

>> I use `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number'
> I use `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date' instead.

Hm, yes, but the Gnus manual says that sorting by recent-number is
faster than recent-date. Have you ever noticed slowdowns?

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Es gibt nichts auf der Welt, das so riecht... Ich liebe den Geruch von Napalm am
Morgen. Weißt du, einmal haben wir einen Hügel bombardiert, 12 Stunden lang. Als

* Re: gnus not showing all articles in a group
       [not found]               ` <vita-brevis-breviter-in-brevi-finietur-mors-venit-velociter-quae-neminem-veretur-87oeyzls35.fsf@gothgoose.net>
@ 2003-08-09 13:14                 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-08-09 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Aug 09 2003, Marcus Frings wrote:

> * Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
[...]
>> But `M P b' should be faster.  Additionally `M P a' was buggy in
>> previous versions of Gnus.
>
> I upgrade from CVS daily. :-)

(Daily, even if there are no changes?)  Gnus 5.10 never had this
problem.  But users of Gnus 5.8/5.9 (or whichever version was b0rked)
might pick up `M P a'.

>> `*-by*-number' doesn't need to fetch and parse the "Date:" header.
>> For nntp and similar groups (no deleting, moving, copying, ...), I'd
>> recommend `*-by*-number', which is the same as sorting by arrival time
>> in this case.  In mail groups, I use `by-date'.

Oops, now I checked my settings and I found that I don't use
sort-by-date at all.

> Have you ever tried to figure out how much is the performance loss?

I never did.  See `M-x elp- TAB TAB' if you want to try.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus not showing all articles in a group
@ 2003-08-09 16:28                   ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-08-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09 2003, Marcus Frings wrote:

>> I upgrade from CVS daily. :-)

> (Daily, even if there are no changes?)  Gnus 5.10 never had this

Yes. I always get the nightly built packages from Manoj's "debianized"
Gnus CVS snapshots. It's beautiful. :-)

> problem.  But users of Gnus 5.8/5.9 (or whichever version was b0rked)
> might pick up `M P a'.

I have never really used Gnus 5.8 or 5.9 as my serious use of Gnus began
with Oort.

> Oops, now I checked my settings and I found that I don't use
> sort-by-date at all.

LOL! So what do you use instead? "*-by-*-number"?

>> Have you ever tried to figure out how much is the performance loss?

> I never did.  See `M-x elp- TAB TAB' if you want to try.

Thanks for the hint, I'll check it out.

Regards,
Marcus
--