* Re: gnus-demon-scan-mail problems
       [not found] <un0girkzn.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-16 19:24 ` Marcus Frings
       [not found]   ` <ur85sk6m3.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-06-16 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> wrote:

> 1. gnus-demon-scan-mail does not do anything if gnus is not alive.
>    this is not too nice: I want to watch for new mail even when I am
>    not reading news.
>
> 2. even when gnus is alive, gnus-demon-scan-mail does not appear to
>    change anything, i.e., even when there is new mail (either pop or
>    imap), gnus-demon-scan-mail does not notify me about it in any way.
>
> Does anyone use this functionality?

Yes, I do. I read mails via IMAP, too.

Here is my code which works perfectly for me:

(setq gnus-use-demon t)

(defun gnus-demon-scan-news ()
  (when (gnus-alive-p)
    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
      (gnus-group-get-new-news))
    )
  )

(defun gnus-demon-scan-mail ()
  (when (and (gnus-alive-p) mail-here)
    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
      (gnus-group-get-new-news 3)
      )
    )
  )

(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 10)

(gnus-demon-init)

As you can see I don't use the "gnus-demon-scan-mail"-function but mail
checking works.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Tuba cum sonuerit dies erit extrema
et iudex advenerit vocabit sempiterna

@ 2003-06-20 11:33     ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2003-06-20 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> wrote:

>> (setq gnus-use-demon t)
> this variable is not mentioned in the gnus sources.

Uhm, yes, you are right. I removed this variable. I found this code
somewhere on the web, copied it to my gnus setup and it worked from the
beginning. Hm, has there ever been a gnus-use-demon variable in older
versions of Gnus?

>> (defun gnus-demon-scan-news ()
>>   (when (gnus-alive-p)
>>     (save-excursion
>>       (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
>>       (gnus-group-get-new-news))))
>>
>> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 10)
>>
>> (gnus-demon-init)
>
> `gnus-demon-add-handler' already calls `gnus-demon-init'.

Yes, you are right again. :-) After checking gnus-demon.el I also
removed this code from my setup.

> now, how do you know that there was new mail?
> do you visit the *Group* buffer every 10 minutes?

Well, after being done with reading mails and news I just switch back to
the group buffer and do other stuff. And if new mails/news arrive the
group buffer will be automatically updated.

> `gnus-demon-scan-news' does no notification!

Well, seeing that new postings arrived in my group buffer is enough
notification for me. Having a sound alert might be a nice feature though.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Intentions not up front and the shit that never faced reflects the sliver of
God's face and looped a flaw rotates forever unresolved. Sure to die.