From: JibStyle <jibstyle209@gmail.com>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: nnimap gmail "A T" and "^" not working
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:01:00 -0700	[thread overview]

Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk> writes:

>     J> - Issue1: Grandparent not found when only one "References" entry.
>
> There is little we can do about this---if the references header doesn't
> contain the right information we can't know what messages to fetch
> (while we could "walk" up the tree this isn't practical, since we would
> have to construct a separate search and a new network connection for
> each step). And not adding the references is broken behavior and should
> be fixed by the mailer.

Fair enough. In this case, I can walk up the tree manually.

>     J> - Issue2: Parent from different group not found.
>
> This is the intended behavior. If you want messages from different
> groups to be found you need to set 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search to 't.

I set 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search to 't but still encounter the issue.

ParentArticle (this is the article not found)

ChildArticle (this is where I initiate search from)

>     J> - Issue3: Siblings and descendants not found.
>
> This doesn't happen for me. As far as I can tell "A T" search is working
> correctly in gmail when the references header is correct. The gnus
> strategy is simple: when you type "A T" on a message the message-id of
> that message and ALL message-ids in the references header are used as
> search keys. The search asks for all messages whose references header
> contains any one of those keys. For mailers that adhere to the standard
> this will find all articles in the thread, future and past.

See my below email header data. For this test, I initiated search from
the "[Gmail]/All Mail", in which all the emails exist. These results are
with 'gnus-refer-thread-use-search nil -- alarmingly, when the variable
is t, "A T" does not find any articles at all.

RootArticle (successfully found)

ChildA (this is where I initiate search from)

GrandchildA (not found)

ChildB (not found)

GrandchildB (not found)

> To diagnose further you will need to do what I asked you earlier: find
> the references header, the in-reply header, and the original message-id
> header for the initiating article and for the article that wasn't found.

Thanks for your help. It sounds like I'm the only one experiencing these
issues, and I wonder if I may have incorrectly configured
something. Please let me know if any suggestions come to mind, and I'll
continue referencing the manual, emacswiki, and experimenting. Best
regards.